nine

Harry

It was days like this when I really appreciated the layout of my mother's house.

She and Gemma's room were on one side of the house, while my room along with another guest room were on the complete opposite side.

Which meant that last night, my mum and Gemma's ears were saved, but mine, however, were not.

I listened to Amanda and Jack have sex for a good fifteen minutes last night.

A long fifteen minutes.

Thank god Julia slept through the entire thing right beside me, or else that would've been even more awkward and unbearable.

It was the next morning, and everybody was still asleep, but I hadn't really gotten much of that so I decided to make some coffee.

I sat down in the kitchen, waiting for it to brew, when I heard a voice behind me.

"Morning." Gemma smiled, walking up and taking a seat beside me.

"Morning," I said, eyeing her carefully. "You didn't hear anything last night... did you?" I asked her.

"Nope, I slept like a baby." She answered, and then her brows furrowed. "Were you and Julia..."

"No." I laughed, sitting back in the chair.

"While we're on the topic," she breathed. "I don't mean to pry into your love life but-"

"Gemma," I sighed, and she sat up.

"Listen, just hear me out." She muttered, and I looked at her expectantly. "I know you, Harry. And I know that you don't love her or-"

"Of course I don't I love her, we've only been together a couple weeks!" I exclaimed, and she just looked at me, a blank expression on her face.

"You know what I mean, Harry."

"No, I don't know what you mean, Gemma." I said, standing up to pour my coffee. "I really like Julia and-"

"What about Amanda?" She questioned, and I sighed.

"What about her?"

"All I had to do was take one look at you to tell that you're in love with her and-" I shushed her, and she lowered her voice. "Listen, I saw you with Jordan, and you were miserable. If Amanda makes you happy-"

"She's with Jack, Gemma." I told her, and she quieted. "There's nothing I can do about that."

"Does she know? Have you ever told her how you feel?" She questioned, and I sighed again. I fucking hated talking about this.

"No, why would I tell her?" I breathed. "It wouldn't change anything, and it would just make everything worse."

She looked me carefully, almost like she was staring into my soul, and I looked away. I hated when she did that because, I knew she would always see right through me.

"I'm just telling you to think about it..."

"Trust me, I think about it all the fucking time, that's the problem." I exhaled, and she patted me on the shoulder.

"I just want you to be happy."

"I am," I said to her, giving her a small smile.

"Okay," she sighed. "I'm going to get get dressed because mum's got plans for us today." She told me, and then went up the stairs.

I took a sip of my coffee and stared off into space for a while.

A few minutes later, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs, and Amanda emerged, all smiles.

"Good morning, Harry."

"Morning." I said, watching as she walked up next to me and poured herself a cup of coffee.

"What does your mom have planned for us today?" She asked, taking a seat behind me.

"I don't know... I think she and Gemma are going to show you and Josie around the city, if I know my mum she'll probably want to take you shopping," I told her and she laughed, but then her face dropped.

"What about you and Jack... and Julia?"

I sighed taking another sip of my coffee, and looked away. "I think they just want to focus on you two right now." I said, and she nodded slowly, and started to blow on her coffee.

"But don't worry about us, I'll take good care of them." I winked, and she laughed again.

-

I was completely right about my mum's plans for the afternoon. She and Gemma took Josie and Amanda around the city, which left Jack, Julia, and I in the house.

We were outside in the yard, Jack and Julia were looking around at my mum's garden, pointing and examining the various plants.

Julia jogged up to where I was sitting on the bench, and sat down. "Your mom has the most beautiful Cardenas in her garden." She smiled, pointing to a patch of flowers.

"I'll let her know you like them." I told her, and she leaned over to kiss me. "Hey, I'm sorry for my family..." I started, feeling bad that she was left out of their little girls' trip.

"No, I uh, understand." She said, clearing her throat and looking away. "I'm gonna go use the bathroom." She spoke, giving me a kiss on the cheek and making her way back inside the house.

I sighed and looked out in front of me, where Jack was still looking at the garden. A few seconds later, he shoved his hands in his pockets and walked towards me.

"Do you know what plant that is over there?" He asked, pointing to a white flower and I shook my head.  "They're really pretty." He said, and I nodded as he sat beside me on the bench.

"Amanda wants to start a garden eventually." He spoke, looking at me and all I could do was nod again.

This was awkward...

"But you know, you're right." He cleared his throat and looked off into the distance. "It would make everything worse."

I looked at him, confused but he continued on.

"You know, I've known this entire time, but hearing you say it yourself this morning, really pissed me off, Harry." He said, and I sighed.

Fuck.

"You barely gave two shits about her before Josie was born, and now that she's finally happy you want to fuck it up." He scoffed, and I took a deep breath.

"Listen, Jack, I'm not trying to-"

"No, I know exactly what you're trying to do." He spat, finally turning to me. "She doesn't love you, so just please stay the fuck out of our relationship." He said, standing up and walking back into the house.

Fuck.

-

The next day it was time to leave.

It was a short trip, because Amanda and Jack has to get back in time for their graduation tomorrow but, it was a good one.

Besides the fact that Jack confronted me about my feelings for Amanda...

Everyone was saying their goodbyes; My mum was giving Josie a big hug, and handed her a cookie to take with her. She squealed with delight and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Amanda finished talking with Gemma and walked over to my mum. She pulled her in for a hug, and I watched as my mum whispered something in her ear and Amanda nodded, a big smile on her face.

Gemma walked over to me and pulled me into a hug.

"Don't forget about what I said." She whispered, and I just nodded and gave her a smile.

After that conversation I had with Jack yesterday, I wasn't so sure...

We all finished up our goodbyes and got in the car, ready to head to the airport.

--

🤭...

-Mel