twenty-six

Harry

It wasn't too long before we reached a door at the end of the hall.

I could hear Amanda breathing hard from beside me; or maybe that was me...

The door swung open, and we walked inside, Julia still behind us with the gun pressed to our backs.

There was a dark haired woman standing with her back to us, but I was looking around carefully for Josie and Jordan, who were nowhere in sight.

Julia closed the door behind us, and walked up to the woman, handing her the gun. To my surprise, she turned around and it was actually Jordan staring back at me.

"Hi, Harry." She cooed, and I was shocked. Her blonde hair hair was now a dark shade of brown, and her usual hazel eyes were... blue?

"Where's Josie?" I questioned, and she shrugged, taking a step towards us and smiling.

"Aren't you going to compliment my new look?" She sighed, and just by looking at her I was growing even more frustrated.

"Where the fuck is Josie, Jordan?" I shouted, and she sucked her teeth, holding the gun up beside her.

"Keep that up, and you'll never see her again." She told me, and then took a seat in the chair in front of us.

I looked at her carefully as she was smiling sickly up at me, "Now, don't you like my new look? Do I... remind you of anyone?" She questioned, batting her eyelashes and looking directly at Amanda.

Looking at the two of them, I could see the resemblance now. The dark hair, the blue eyes... it was starting to make sense. I guess Amanda started to catch on too, because she gripped my hand tighter.

"We're practically twins!" Jordan laughed. "Now there's no reason for you not to love me back... tell me I look beautiful."

I swallowed and sighed, I just didn't want to make her angry. "You look beautiful." I coughed, and she smiled walking over to me. She placed her hand on my face, and I flinched at the touch, which made her step back.

"You should see your face right now," she snickered, tossing the gun from hand to hand. "You look so fucking scared. Why do you look so scared around your wife, Harry?"

"Ex-wife." I clarified, watching as she sat back down in the chair. "Now cut the shit, where is Josie?"

She sighed, pointed the gun at us, completely disregarding my question. "I wanna know something, Harry... What is it that you love so fucking much about her?" She questioned, cocking her head to the side, and shifting the gun at Amanda.

"That's a genuine question I want to know." She spoke firmly, and I sighed. Both she and Julia were staring expectantly at me. I looked beside me and saw that Amanda was also looking back at me with big, scared eyes.

What do I say? Was this a trick question...

I figured I might as well just be honest, because she'd know I was lying if I just told her what she wanted to hear.

"I love her eyes," I started, taking a deep breath. "How bright and blue they are. I love that no matter what, if you kiss her behind her ear she'll start to laugh." I uttered, looking down at Amanda. "I love that she cares about the people around her, even if they don't deserve it. I love that she's an amazing mother to Josie-" I said and that seemed to make her angry.

"Okay, I didn't ask you to write a fucking romance novel." She spat, standing back up. "You know... in our entire five years of marriage, never once did you ever look at me the way just looked at her." She breathed, her face twisting with anger. "All I ever did was love you but that wasn't enough!"

"You suffocated me, Jordan!" I shouted, and she looked taken back. "I couldn't even think about even interacting with another woman without you trying figure out a way to hurt her o-or get back at me!"

"Well, I guess that didn't matter because you cheated on me anyway." She swallowed, her eyes narrowing at me. I made note as her tone switched from firm and angry to sweet and soft, and that was my signal that she was starting to become even more emotional and erratic.

"All I want is for us to be together. Then we can start a family of our own." She muttered, looking at me with sad eyes.

After all of this, I knew exactly what I needed to do. Maybe I should've done it sooner, but I was going to do it now...

"Okay." I agreed, and her face brightened. "I'll go anywhere or do anything, if you just promise me you'll leave Amanda and Josie alone. For good." I told her and she started to smile.

"Harry..." Amanda whispered from beside, but I stepped away from her. "Harry you don't have to do this."

"I do, Amanda." I sighed, turning around to face her. God, she was crying and fucking killed me to see her like this, but I had to protect her. "I've caused you so much pain already. None of this would've happened if it weren't for me, and I can't let anything happen to you or Josie." I explained, and she sniffed, looking past me at Jordan.

I wanted to console her but, Jordan pulled me to her and kissed me on the lips. "I knew you'd come around." She grinned. Then she turned around, pulling a key out of her pocket.

She handed the gun to Julia, who aimed it at us while Jordan walked to a door at the back of the room.

"Harry, please," Amanda whispered, and I turned to her and cupped her face in my hands.

"I'll be fine, Amanda." I assured her, as I looked into her glossy blue eyes. "She just wants me, and I can't risk her hurting the two of you because of that."

"Mommy, daddy!" A voice exclaimed, and we turned to see Josie running towards us, out of the room.

"Oh my god," Amanda breathed, pulling her in and hugging her tight. "A-are you okay, are you hurt?"

"No..." she whispered, and then placed her small hand on Amanda's face. "Mommy why are you crying?"

She stayed silent and just looked back up at me, before Jordan interrupted.

"It's time to go, Harry."

I sighed and kneeled down to Josie, pulling her in for a hug. "I have to go, Princess." I muttered, and she stared at me with wide eyes.

"Where are you going?"

"Just... away for some time, and I don't want you to worry about me, okay? You'll see me again..." I informed her, but I could tell that she was still confused. "I love both with all of my heart and-"

"Okay, that's enough." Jordan yelled, grabbing my arm and pulling me away towards the way we came, Julia following close behind with the gun.

"Daddy, don't leave!" Josie cried, running after me with tears streaming down her face.

Why did I have to do this... fuck.

Looking at her tear streaked face broke my heart, but I had to remember she was better off without me, if that's what would keep her safe.

"Josie, I love you so much, but I have to go." I spoke, struggling to get the words out. "Listen to your mother, okay." Before I could get in another word, Julia pressed the gun against my back and we started to walk out the door.

As we walked out, I could hear Josie start to cry, and it felt like a part of me died.

I couldn't turn around, and I didn't.

I just followed Jordan outside and into the van...

--

😳

sorry if u couldn't tell that's my favorite emoji/ my response to everything
-Mel