twenty-five

Amanda

"Hey, Jack."

I was visiting his grave once again; this time to tell him the good news about the baby.

"I went to my first appointment today." I breathed. "And it's a boy! The doctor said he's healthy and everything looks good."

"I can't wait to meet him, I already know he's going to look just like you," I whispered, resting my hands down in my lap. "Max. I remember you saying if we ever had a boy you'd want to name him after your dad."

"Max Emmett Whitaker," I grinned at the thought, looking down at the stone in front of me. I could still feel a slight pain in my chest and a lump always formed in my throat when I looked at it, but I had to.

It was the only thing that helped.

"Oh, every time Josie shows us a new dance, she sets up the stuffed animal she named after you to watch." I explained, fidgeting with my fingers. I placed the flowers I had brought with me on his grave, taking a deep breath.

"I miss you so much. Not a day goes by where I don't think about you." I sniffed, trying to regulate my breathing so that I wouldn't cry. After putting my head back, and I few deep breaths, it worked.

"I just hope you're doing okay up there. I'll be back soon... I love you." I whispered, before getting up and taking a long look at his grave before walking away.

I made my way back to my car, and exhaled once I was inside. It was time to pick up Josie from daycare, so I made my way over.

After about ten minutes, I pulled into the parking lot, and exited my car, noticing that Josie wasn't standing outside with the rest of the kids, but I figured she'd be inside.

I walked inside and was greeted by Rachel, who always worked the front desk.

"Oh, hi Amanda." She spoke, looking at me with a confused look. "Did Josie forget something or..."

"No, I'm here to pick her up." I chuckled, trying to remember if maybe Harry said he was picking her up.

I watched as she looked at the clipboard in front of her, then at her computer.

"Josie already left. You called this morning and said that someone else would be picking her up today..." she explained, and I immediately started to panic.

What was she talking about?

"I didn't call you..." I spoke, and then I remembered. Jordan. Oh god, please no...

"Was it a woman who picked her up? When did they leave?" I yelled, and she stood up with worry.

"They left about twenty minutes ago. Her name was Jayden... Jordan Styles, and she showed her ID, which matched who you said would be picking Josie up this morning," she explained to me, but I couldn't breathe.

I ran out of the building, tears of worry and anger streaming down my face. I was just about to call the police, when I got a call from an unknown number.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Amanda." A familiar high pitched voice cooed on the other end, and I wanted to kill her.

"Where the fuck is she, Jordan?" I shouted, and I heard her laugh, a surprisingly deep one that sent a shiver down my spine.

"Don't worry, I texted you the location." She informed me. "And if you call the police, I'll cut off a body part of hers for each letter of the word. How many is that... six?" She laughed, and I had never wanted to kill a person but I did right now.