14. Chaudah

Analgesics, the drugs to not feel the pain. The one thing he kept asking for, frequently. As if the pain inside him never reduced or ended.

Even now, the full grown man, keenly took out the tablet from the strip and chucked it down his throat in a dry swallow, like he was used to it.

His handsome face didn't show any evidence of pain being imparted to any part of his body. Nevertheless, I had seen his bloodied knuckles of his left hand.

What had he done before coming here?

"Are you alright, Mr. Vardhan?" I asked looking at his glasses eyes which blinked once before focusing on me.

"Yeah, thanks for this," he shook the strip in his hand while saying.

"Anytime."

Whenever I looked at him, my mind couldn't help but reel back to that fateful day, two months ago. My guts always telling that there was more to this man. He was right there when I felt the need for someone for the first time in my life as an adult.

... Two months ago ...

I had woken up in a luxurious room, tugged in the bed. A maid in an English maid uniform  by my side. My wet clothes was replaced by the warm fluffy dark bathrobe.

I tried getting up but an unexpected sting of pain shot through my body which might have reflected on my expression because the maid immediately came to my aid, "careful madam, you are having a fever."

That explained the stinging and irrationally cold I was feeling.

"Do you need anything?" She asked while helping me sit up straighter.

I cleared my itchy and dry throat a little before asking her for water. My voice sounded more of a croak of a frog than a human.

She nodded and picked up the glass from the nightstand and handed it to me.

"Where am I?" I asked after painfully swallowing a couple of sips.

"You are in my house," I looked towards the owner of the familiar voice. There, standing by the door frame was the man who I hadn't expected to see here, Mr. Shaurya Vardhan.

He nodded at the maid, sending her out while he walked to sit on the velvet blue wingback armchair.

I just sat there, drenched in numbness. Unable to comprehend a situation for the first time in my life. And this feeling was... disconcerting.

"You fainted before my car," Shaurya stated, dragging my attention to the mystifying man.

He folded his left leg over the right and entwined his fingers together to hide the scabs on his knuckles which unfortunately for him, I had already seen. Nevertheless, I hadn't mentioned about it just waited for his to continue.

"After screaming your throat out," he added as if testing the waters.

I looked into his unnaturally larger irises, searching for the hint of the color behind them. And he stared head-on, right in my eyes.

"Are you okay?" He finally asked breaking my stone-hard composure. I could see him looking at the possible emotions flicking through my eyes at the moment as I let out a worn out breath that I didn't even realise I was holding.

"I'm not going to ask you what happened, you can tell if and when you trust me. You can stay here, till you desire to. And if you need anything else--" I interjected his kind offer and ask, "is there a vacancy for any position in your company?"