23. Taees

"Don't believe-" by the time I completed my sentence, the mob of people or rather my family dashed towards us, surrounded Vikrant and dragged him inside all the while making a hell of noise that overpowered my voice leaving me to mumble the rest of the sentence in completion, "him."

At the moment, I felt like a kindergarten teacher standing behind the class of children running about out of her control on a field trip.

Right now, I was the only one standing on the road outside my house. Only good knows what lies was he feeding them inside. I better get this sorted before he caused anymore damage...

Rushing inside the busy house of wedding, I found the devil sitting in the center of the entire crowd who was asking him, telling him  as well as feeding him. And of course, he did look ecstatic. Attention seeker.

Gosh, give them only a word and they are ready to write a saga.

As they say -- without rhyme or reason.

Moving through the crowd around him, I pulled him out of the chair and excused ourselves from the greedily watching family who howled like wolves when they registered what was happening.

Pulling him out to the corner where nobody, I gave a quick glance around to see if anyone was eavesdropping before giving him a  seething look as I whisper-yelled, "what in the damned hell were you trying to do back there? Do you when register what type of mess you have just made? They are not going to leave either you or me in peace for the entire duration we will be here! And not to forget, they will pester us us to get married, might as well on the same mandap."

My sentence had a sarcastic edge to it by the time I ended up my speech. There was a twinkle in his eye that gleamed evilly.

With his signature smirk on his lips, one of his hands grabbed me by my waist and pulled me flush against him, almost giving me a heart attack because of where we were. His other hand innocently tucked a strand of rogue hair escaping the bun, behind my ear.

He brought his lips near as if he was going to deliver a kiss and whispered, "not my problem, you see? Solve it on your own."

He left me and moved outside announcing that he had to make a call, rather really loudly. With a heart-clenching suspicion, I looked over my shoulder to find all the pairs of eyes in the vicinity staring at me. For a fact that had witnessed everything but hadn't heard a word!

He was enjoying this. He was so bloody enjoying this!

That bastard! I was going to kill him!

******

Dragging my mother aside while she continued to chat with those neighborhood aunties.

"Ma, listen to me," I pulled my mom before me and spoke.

"Arey, kya huva? Billi ki tarah gurra kyun rahi ho?" She asked in a motherly tone while she smiled at the passersby.

"You don't believe him, do you?"

"Believe whom beta?" She smiled and replied to a guest congratulating her interrupting my interrogation. And all I could do was sigh in annoyance.

"Listen, don't pretend to be naive before me, he was just joking," I added looking straight in her eyes.

"Arey yaar, yeh kya baaten liye baith gayi tum. Khushi ka mahol hai. Your sister is getting married and next your problem has also solved itself," she blabbered but my focus stop on her last line.

"What problem? What is my problem that you are talking about?"

"You don't like any guy that we introduce, and now we don't have to look for a guy. He came here all by himself and a guy like that I could have never found even if I searched for him with a lamp in the day light-" I interrupted her declamation with, "wait wait, you are not talking about my boss, right?"