🎀Seventeen🎀

If you are not afraid of the voices inside you, you will not fear the critics outside you.

- Natalie Goldberg -

____________________________

Speaking to Allie seemed like a good idea, because I felt strong again. I finished unpacking and decided going to the shop would made me feel even better.

There was no sign of Steve.

While driving to the shop, I cleared my head by stopping any negative thoughts that would pop in. After all, I knew this was gonna happen and I was supposed to be prepared. But it seemed like I was not prepared enough. I parked my car in front of my shop and the blazing sunlight of July hit me as I got out.

"Mrs. Wilson, welcome back!" Marisa greeted me with enthusiasm as she gave me a bear hug. But when she said my surname I cringed and memories of what I had done, flooded back in.

"It is good to be home, Mari. How is everything here?"

"You wouldn't believe it if I told you! We sold five times more than we did a week ago!"

"I'm sure most of them came here after I won the competition." I said and her eyes widened as she took in what I had just said.

God, this girl was so dramatic. But wait, no one could be more dramatic than Allie!

"That's so good to hear ma'am, congratulations! You deserve the best."

"By the way, have you seen Steve around? Because when I got home, he wasn't there."

"He hasn't come to the shop ever since you left. I think he was missing you." She replied.

Yeah, to rape me surely.

"But now that I think of it, he showed up here yesterday asking whether you were supposed to come back yesterday." I froze at her words.

He knew. Oh my God, he knew what I had done.

"And what did you tell him?"

"That I didn't have a clue as to when you were supposed to come back. He then left the shop shortly after."

"He didn't say where he was going? Was he mad?"

Shit was about to get real!

"Calm down, ma'am. He didn't say where he was going, and no he wasn't mad. Is something wrong? You look pale."

"Don't worry, Marisa. It must be because I'm tired. But let's go back to work."

"Right away."

♣♣♣

It was 6:00 p.m. and we were closing the shop after a long day. If someone had come to me and told me that one day, I would be a successful woman, I would have laughed in their face. From just a couple days ago, sales have increased visibly by 10%. That also meant that I would need to contact Fariz for more imports.

I took out my phone ready to call him, but something stopped me. I had a message from Adam.

📨Adam: I came out of the room and you were gone! Why did you leave me?

I stared at the message for a few minutes, thinking about what I could possibly say to him. It was like, he did not care about what we had gotten ourselves into, like he did not know that he had a wife who he needed to take care of.

📨Me: I'm sorry if you took it badly, but I had to leave. I couldn't bear the sight of you with your wife, after last night.

Ten seconds later, he replied:

📨Adam: I understand and believe me when I say that I wish things were different. Kate, I think we need to talk.

📨Me: I don't think that's a good idea Adam, you should first let your wife get better.

📨Adam: Why not? Are you perhaps regretting?

📨Me: How can you possibly ask me that when you made me the happiest woman in the world last night!

📨Adam: Then let's meet as soon as possible, because I'm losing my mind here!

When a guy says that, how can you possibly say 'no' to him? Even though I had known deep inside that I should have reject his offer, I was not strong enough to.

📨Me: Alright. Where and when should we meet?

📨Adam: Tomorrow at lunch. I will text you the address.

Tomorrow. We were going to settle whatever we had between us tomorrow, having a secret relationship certainly did not sit well with me.

I closed the shop, because Marisa had left early saying that she had a date. I unlocked my car and climbed inside. I called Fariz and ordered five times more packages he was used to deliver. Then, I drove home.

Unfortunately, Steve was inside sleeping on the couch, reeking of alcohol.

So, he had been drinking!

I noticed that he had even eaten dinner. Since I had no appetite at all, I went in the bedroom, took a shower and went to sleep.

Onlyif I could manage to get some.

===================

Hi! Enjoying the chapter?

More fun is about to come so stay tuned. And in the next chapter I have a surprise for you. Be sure not to miss it.

PS: when I started writing this story, I wanted it to be a short story. But my amazing mind had other plans. As you can see, we are now on chapter seventeen!!

But I have to let you know that this story is slowly going towards the end, then we will move to Allie's and Nathan's story.

Much love to everyone who have been with me throughout this whole journey. Even silent readers. 🧡

Marty.