Thirty Eight

Almost every single advisor presented themselves, and their wives all turned up in front of us regardless of whether their husbands had taken their turn in front of my beautiful Rayne and he had absolutely flourished under the attention, though it had been timidly. It seems that the outpouring of support from the people we had both assumed would side on the error of caution and take my father's stance on any possible inappropriateness in my choice of bride... But they had all seen over the course of the meal that Rayne is sweet, and that our connection is true.

They had been right in swearing themselves over to my delicate Moon Beam, and they had preserved their places in court for the time being by doing so and making my blushing beauty giggle with sweet comments on his grace and the stunning color of his hair... They all had had kind words for him, and by the time everyone had finished and taken themselves back to their seats to wait for my father to finish eating out of courtesy before leaving... More than one of them with small guilty smiles on their faces as he flowers next to us with the sourest of faces, his gullet crammed full of his third fish that I am convinced he is only still picking at in order to delay them all out of spite for showing Rayne affection.

...

Rayne

...

My hand is numb from being held in the air for so long so that the wave of oaths that had come my way could be sealed and sworn by placing a peck to the back of my palm, but my heart is warmed anew with how accepted I currently feel, even if I can feel the spite radiating from King Xiang over the burning he must feel in his chest to know that even though he looks down on me people can see the good in his son. They know my sweet Emmy would never lead them astray, and that he is so much more trustworthy than the man sitting next to us.

When I start to settle back into my fiance's I pause and turn my face asking ever so sweetly and silently to be kissed by letting my eyes flutter closed and tilting my chin up until I feel his lips crash into mine with an enthusiasm that makes chuckles ring into the air from the palace locals, both of our father's clearing their throats at the same time signaling that we need to settle down and separate when Emrys slips his hand under my bottom for a feel like he had been sneakily doing since we awoke.

I can't help but sigh as I lean into him, his lips repeating as they press themselves into my hair with his own sigh, "I love you so much my little shard of starlight."

We had said it plainly to each other the other day when his embrace had moved me to tears, and the moment had been filled with so much happy weeping that neither of us have had the courage to say it again... Until now.

...

Emrys

...

I hear the timid sniffle before I hear the weepy, "I love you too, Emmy." To which my father is disgusting enough to scoff at, the fork that had been presented to help pick the fish that had been served this morning apart promptly leaving my palm as I impale it on the side table holding my father's food... Barely missing his palm.

"Is there a problem, Father? Something you would like to say?" With the way he flinches I know he is reminded of my reaction to his rattled mind when he had interrupted us in the hot spring, a heated pout being the only answer he gives me before finally standing and taking his leave, hopefully knowing that all of us wish he hadn't shown his face in the first place... All of us breathing a sigh of relief when his guard allows the door to swing shut behind him, none of them looking too happy to have to trail him now that he is in such a foul mood.

"Your Highness, if I may speak plainly... I think we all are looking forward to your coronation day." Rayne gasps at his father's words but we both can hear the truth in them even if I am the only one of the two of us that can see the grim faces nodding along with the words as they quietly echo about the room.

"It will be a joyous day indeed." I try and keep my words as light as possible, the stressed courtiers finally able to leave their seats and disperse to see to whatever duties had been assigned to them, if any at all other than lounging about the gardens trying to entertain my father even exist, "Would you all like to come back to our sitting chambers. You can join us in welcoming Rayne's new personal guards, Kavya and Ronin."

...

Rayne

...

Papa had given no hesitation in accepting Emrys's invitation back to our outer chambers, the likes of which I still have yet to truly see or explore thanks to my missing eyesight and need of rest... Something I know will be solved when Emrys stands with me still in his arms intent on carrying me back through the hall that had caused me such distress instead of expecting to me try and walk through it again while also trying to keep a brave smile plastered to my face so that Mama and Papa don't worry when they catch me shivering and trying to hold in a heave, the look on Emrys's face as he quickens his pace just a touch to put more space between us and the night that had left me so bruised.

Soon I will not have to think on that awful night... No... I know that the moment we get back to our chambers my sisters are going to flutter about me as if they've gone mad until Emrys agrees to release me so that they might take turns holding my hands and guiding me about the outer chamber so that we might discover its charm together and safely... And I know that my strong, handsome, protective husband will be by my side every minute of it laughing and learning more embarrassing secrets about me than I most likely would have ever willingly told him... Not that I can say that I won't be doing exactly the same to each of them when they finally pair off for themselves.