Twenty

"E-Emrys... A-Are you sure-" I do not get far in my venture to try and question the man holding me, insecurity over the difference between my birth station and his starting to creep back up my throat when I thought it had been banished when the worst I could imagine actually came to life with such vivid violence as we sit in such delicate silence while waiting for our meal to arrive, my sweet Prince hushing me with a caress to my still tender cheek, his palm just firm enough to allow him to hold me in place while he presses his lips against mine, the kiss tender but more present now that my family has left us.

The action once again steals my breath away, the intimacy that comes with it making me crave more of him and the pleasantness of his touch, the feel of him washing away the feel of the fists that had taken such pride in hurting me. 

"Do not ever doubt my attachment to you, Rayne... No one could be my Moon Beam but you, Darling... You are my treasure and neither side of me is willing to part with you ever, My Love... No matter the circumstances, you hold my heart now..." His words are soft as he whispers them against my lips ever so gently, his forehead resting on mine just for a moment before he draws in a heady breath and pulls away from me with what I think maybe a smile as his thumb strokes my sore cheeks with such affection. 

...

Emrys

...

"I-I never imagined you could be so kind, my sweet Prince... I-I am truly happier in this moment than I have been in quite some time..." Rayne's words make my heartache for I know that this is not the kind of morning either of us imagined it would be with him still in need of such great care... And yet somehow he has found and maintained his joy in his acceptance of me and my want to care for him... For him to so easily settle into the role of being mine when I thought maybe he would be resistant is such a gift... Just like the feel of him as he pushes himself more thoroughly against me in an effort to return the affection I cannot stop myself from showering him in in the form of the lightest of touches and kisses that make my very soul scream with how badly I want to sample him more even in the state he's in now. 

Just as my beautiful Moon Beam goes to open his mouth again we are interrupted by several maids carrying in our trays, more than just the porridge and roast duck than we had sent for, Akeno not normally the type to send away for things so indulgent as what starts to pile up around us on the bed before the main step away from us, all of them set to leave before I clear my throat and the last one stops to give me her attention, "What is the meaning of all of this? We called for porridge and duck only."

"It is a gift from the staff, we wish to express gratitude to Queen Rayne, Your Highness."

"T-To me?" The attention drawn to the other half of my soul makes him tremble, his blinded eye trying so desperately to find and focus on the maids form while she stands so far away from us. 

She bows even though she does not know he cannot see it, the smile on her face what could almost be called cheeky as she extends further explanation, "You are the people's Queen, Your Highness, and we are happy to welcome you."

Without another word, the maid flees before either of us have time to further question her, Rayne's abused cheeks set aflame from what I can tell as he directs his blurry eye back up to me to ask, "W-What does that mean, Emrys? W-Why did that almost sound as though it was a threat?"

There is so much panic in my dearest one's voice that for a moment I can do nothing but hold him close while trying not to squeeze him too hard, my core temperature rising in my beast's effort to let him know that he shall forever be safe in my arms, the pair of royal tasters slipping in as quietly as they can, their sampling of dishes done discreetly while I take a moment to reassure my little sparkle of starlight that, "I don't believe she meant it as a threat, My Love... Just that the staff are excited to have you here with us."

A clearing of a throat draws our attention, and it is given to one of the tasters as he wraps his spoon in a handkerchief to prevent it from dripping when he heads back down to the kitchen, "I apologize for interrupting Your Highnesses... But I...All of us in the kitchen heard what happened last night... And why... Queen Rayne is truly one of the people, and we appreciate that fact... That is all."

Already so new to his position as my Queen and already he's begun to capture the hearts of our people, a feat that won't necessarily be hard with the poor job of ruling my father is currently getting away with, Rayne's gentle nature and sweet disposition something sure to soothe the masses better than any balm even the most trained medics could administer. 

My Moon Beam shivers with our new understanding of the meal set before us, both of the tasters staying with us for a few minutes more to assure nothing has been poisoned before taking their leave sent away with smiles over Rayne's timid interaction with them asking all of the sweetest questions of them, like why they've had to taste everything before us and if they'll have to do it tomorrow... And then thanking them in the most charming way right before their departure for keeping his belly safe...

I most certainly will have my hands full with my curious little bride, but in the best way possible, his beautiful temperament allowing me to coax him into letting me be the one to feed him, my fingers being used in the place of utensils if only so that my fingers might brush against his lips with every morsel of food, the rice porridge that had been requested nowhere in sight as we feast together with whispered sweet nothings while getting to know each other.