[21] Birthday wish

Bokuto is jolted awake by the noise of his phone's ringing. His hands fumble across his nightstand before landing on his phone. He grabs it, ready to hit decline. 

He's instead met with Oikawa's caller I.D. He lets out a noise of annoyance, not wanting to pick it up and instead go back to sleep. Then his worries that Oikawa got stuck in his washing machine again, and hits the 'accept call' button. 

He brings the phone to his ear, only to quickly retract it as Oikawa's loud voice booms over the speaker.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY BITCH! HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE AS OLD AS ME NOW!?"

"Oikawa, what the fuck," Bokuto rubs his eyes sleepily, his voice is drowsy and scratchy.

"Well I had to make sure I was the first one to wish you a happy birthday duh. So I waited till the clock hit midnight and now we're here!"

Bokuto's forehead creases, "is this another one of your weird pranks again?"

"Huh, what do you mean? If you mean waking you up when you were trying to sleep then I guess you can call that a prank. I find it to be commitment but okay."

"No, I mean why are you telling me happy birthday? My birthday isn't today?"

"...Are you high or something?" Oikawa questions.

"What?"

"I said are you fucking high or something? Today is your birthday? It's the 20th?"

"No, it's not? Today's like the 16th or something," he mumbles. 

"Bokuto...I'm seriously concerned by how stupid you sound right now. I'm going to blame it on your sleepiness but yes it's the 20th. Literally just check the date."

Bokuto complies, swiping up on his phone and looking at the date. September 20th. Oh.

"Wait, today is actually the 20th?" he asks suprised. 

"Yes you idiot. Did you hit your head or something?"

"Oh...I guess I didn't realize because I've been so busy."

"I can't believe I had to convince you it was your birthday...Whatever, I was the first one to wish you happy birthday anyways so it's a win."

"Yeah okay. I'm going back to sleep again," Bokuto huffs.

"Goodnight birthday boy!"

He flips back over in bed, falling asleep again.

When he wakes up again, his phone is filled with various messages from people wishing him a happy birthday. He scrolls through them all, reading what they have to say. 

Kohoena 
Happy birthday boss man!! I think for your birthday gift you should give your favorite head of marketing (me) a raise!

Boss man
Isn't it MY birthday?

Kohoena
Y'know as they say, giving is better than recieving😁

Boss man
I'm not giving you a raise.

Kohoena
It was worth a try I guess😔

Boss man
Thanks for the birthday wishes I guess🙄

He scrolls through a couple more, replying to them. He clicks on the next unopened message, only to realize it's Kuroo's contact. 

Pussy boy
hey dude, i know you aren't speaking with me, but happy birthday🎉

As he reads the message he can't help but feel guilt-ridden. Sure he was angry at the other for keeping secrets, but maybe he shouldn't have been so harsh. He should've let Kuroo explain himself more before just deciding to ignore him.