[16] Top 3

"Akaashi, Koutarou!" his mom's face popped up on the screen. "I was beginning to think you'd never call," she clicks her tongue.

"Mom, it's not even the end of August, there was plenty of time for us to call," Bokuto argued. 

"Nevermind that, how have you two..."

They continue their conversation, asking questions about how life was going. She asked how business was going, Bokuto filling her in on his advancements.

"Akaashi, is Koutarou treating you well? Cause if not I can beat him up for you," his mom offers.

Bokuto gives an eyeroll, Akaashi  nudging him in return.

"Yes, very well," he smiles.

"Good, because I put too much effort in for him to be a jerk."

"Oh, mom! Oikawa's back in Japan," Bokuto brings up not wanting to get slandered anymore.

"Is he!? Love that kid! I'll have to text him to meet for coffee and go shopping together!"

Bokuto shook his head at his mom's strange love for Oikawa. 

"Akaashi! You should join us!"

"Ah, I don't want interrupt..."

Bokuto snickers. He knew that was Akaashi's polite was of saying "I'd rather not."

"Nonsense! I'll get to spend time with some of my two favorite boys!"

"Then what am I mom?" Bokuto pouts.

"Calm down, you're like in the top 5," his mom waved her hand dismissively.

"Top 5!? I don't even have that many friends!"

"I'm kidding!..Top 3."

"Moooom," he whined.

Akaashi laughed at the older's pain, who was slowly sinking into the couch in defeat.

"So what do you say Akaashi? Wanna join us?"

He thinks for a moment. "Sure, I'll join," Akaashi accepts.

Bokuto gives him a look, his eyes saying "you're out of your mind."

"Great! Can't wait!"

They chatted for a while longer, before saying their goodbyes. Bokuto goes and puts the laptop back in his room before walking into the kitchen. Akaashi joins him soon after, getting a glass of water.

Bokuto turns to the other, "you sure you want to go out shopping with those two? I once had to drive them and even that made my head hurt."

"Yeah sure," he shrugged. "It's your mom and one of your best friends, it'd be rude if I did."

"I guess...don't let them bully you though," Bokuto warns.

"Bully me? Are we in middle school?" he scoffs.

"Whenever Oikawa and my mom get together they go all 'Mean Girls' style. That's why I don't like being around them at the same time. They get all judgey and can get rude if you let them."

"Wait seriously? Should I be worried then?" his tone panicky.

"No! You'll be fine, I doubt they'll say anything towards you! My mom loves you! And although you haven't really hung out with Oikawa a lot, he likes you already!"

"That doesn't help, you've already  made me nervous," the younger huffs.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean too," he frowns. "You don't have to go if you don't want to."

"No, I will. I have a reputation to uphold and I'm determind to keep it that way. Also, I feel kind of bad that we've been lying to your mom for so long," Akaashi admits.

"We'll be able to tell her the truth one day," Bokuto assures.

"I guess for the moment then I'll be stuck going on shopping dates and we'll keep pretending to be dating," Akaashi jokes.

Bokuto nods, "I mean...we pretty much are dating."

Akaashi doesn't say anything for a moment. "We are?"

"I think we passed the line of 'just friends,' a while ago," Bokuto chuckles. "We basically act like a couple."

Bokuto doesn't know where this new found confidence was coming from, but he didn't have time to reflect on that.

"Do we?" Akaashi asks innocently, his head tilting in confusion.

Bokuto raises an eyebrow him, asking the younger to think through that thought on his own. For someone as smart as Akaashi, he was clueless.

"I-I mean...we don't do couple-y stuff..." he stutters.

"I don't think I've ever seen you this flustered," Bokuto says entertained.

"Shut up! You just told me there's a possibility your mom and best friend are going to bully me and now you're saying this—of course I'm flustered," he groans.

"Fair point. But what don't we do?"

"Don't do what?"

"What don't we do that couples do? We hold hands, we cuddle."

"We don't kiss."

Akaashi immediately slaps a hand over his mouth. "Ignore that."

"Do you want us to?"

"I said ignore that!"

"And I said," he takes a step closer to the other, "do you want us to?"

"...Maybe."

They're centimeters apart now. Bokuto realizes that all he has to do was move the tiniest bit and their lips would be touching. He can hear his heart beating eratically, adrenaline taking over the part of his brain that makes him think logically.

He's about to close the gap when he hears the sound of the front door opening. 

There's the noise of footsteps echoing through the entranceway, and soon enough, Oikawa stands in view. Akaashi and Bokuto now stood inches  from each other, both jumping away at the new visitor.

Oikawa is unsuspecting, which Bokuto is glad at his cluelessness, because explaining that he just ruined their first kiss isn't something Bokuto wanted to do. He loves Oikawa, but at this moment, he wants nothing more than to kick him. 

"Akaashi, hey!" Oikawa grins.

Akaashi gives him a weak wave, his arm dropping back to his side. 

"I heard we're going shopping together, can't wait! Anyways, sorry for barging in, they still haven't hooked up the water system to my entire house and all I want is a warm shower." He doesn't stay to chat any longer, instead turning on his heel heading upstairs to Bokuto's master bathroom. 

Bokuto lets out a groan, the moment now ruined. He lets his head drop into the crook of Akaashi's neck. Akaashi's hands run through his hair, playing with individual strands. 

"I regret telling Oikawa he can come over whenever. I should've known he doesn't need an invitation," Bokuto speaks, muffled into Akaashi's shoulder. 

Bokuto couldn't care less about Oikawa showing up unannounced, but he did care that the other had the worst possible timing ever. He cared that he missed the chance to kiss Akaashi because Oikawa wanted a shower

Akaashi hums. The younger places a kiss on his forehead, but it's not where Bokuto wants it. 

"We'll get there."

oops :>

ceo hit 20k reads!! love you guys <33

~peachy