twenty-two²: the perfect date

Start from the beginning

"Also, why wasn't your phone working last night? I tried to call you," Taehyung asked pulling back and clicked his tongue.

"My charger is broken and my spare is in the office. I was going to plug it in first thing but forgot," Jeongguk answered and it all made sense. His friend's always messaged him or called him exactly at midnight.

"Well you should go do that before everyone else who's tried get too worried," Taehyung advised and Jeongguk nodded, letting go of the man.

"Oh and, if you don't have any plans, do you want to do something after work?" Taehyung asked with hopeful eyes and how could Jeongguk say no to that?

"I'd love that," Jeongguk said and Taehyung smiled wide. Taehyung nodded as he made way to his desk and Jeongguk went to his secretary desk.

As expected, when Jeongguk's phone turned on he was flooded with messages from his friends and family. It took him a while to reply to all of them and make promises to call as soon as work ends. Then when he went to his office, his colleagues began yelling inaudible nonsense that almost sounded like the birthday song. Almost.

Jeongguk laughed at their attempt but thanked them nonetheless. He was just glad they didn't pull out the streamers and confetti like the previous year. They all even chipped in and got him and head massager that Jeongguk didn't know he needed until then.

"Thank you, I'll put this to good use," Jeongguk said them.

"So, any plans for the night?" Eric asked.

"Uh, yeah," Jeongguk said, putting the gift back in the bag to put under his desk.

"A date?" Jin teased, hoping to get a reaction but Jeongguk nodded and his smirk fell.

"You've got a date?" Jisoo exclaimed, eyes darting to Chaeyoung.

"Damn, Gguk. Get it," Chaeyoung said, laying a punch on his shoulder.

"With who?" Yoona asked but realized she may be crossing boundaries. "I just want to know if it's someone in the office," Yoona defended and the others nodded.

"Is it the new intern I saw you talking to Friday?" Eric suggested, making reference to the lady Jeongguk had to talk to about the couch exchange with.

"No, not it is not," Jeongguk shot him down. He then realized something.

He'd been never mentioned his sexuality to his colleagues as he didn't care enough to in the beginning and after a while, didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. He let Jisoo and Yoona have their fun trying to get him and Chaeyoung together. Jeongguk could keep going on letting them assume he liked woman but they have all quickly become important people in his life and he doesn't want to keep hiding something so important about him. Chaeyoung already knew it was only fair if they all did too.

"I have a date with my boyfriend," Jeongguk admitted and everyone went quiet.

Then after a moment, Jinyoung spoke first. "Cool."

"Can't believe you hid a whole boyfriend from us! You should introduce him to your wonderful colleagues some time," Yoona said, giving him a smile.

Jeongguk nodded, relieved the reactions were well. "I will."

"God, am I the only one who's single here?" Jisoo groaned and they shared a laugh. "Chaeyoung, we've got each other, right?"

"Actually..." Chaeyoung trailed and Jisoo gasped.

"Jisoo-sshi, you know I'm single too?" Jin with a playful smile and Jisoo's face was instantly red. She became flustered and put her attention back to her work like the rest of the office began their obnoxious and childish "oohs".