two: smile for me

JJG

"Why do you like me?"

Jeongguk looked up from the math question he was staring at for ten minutes straight to look at Taehyung. The boy had his elbow propped on the table and head in his palm. Jeongguk titled his head, rethinking what he just heard. When he realized, he turned into a nervous mess.

"W-What? Haha! Wher-What is– a-are ta-talking you about?? Me? You? Like? Way n-no! I mean– n-no way!"

"Oh." Taehyung nodded. He looked away with a barely visible pout, looking like a puppy who was just kicked in the face. Jeongguk instantly melted.

"N-No, I do! I do like you!" Jeongguk quickly yelled, getting the other's attention again. "But this is not a confession or anything, okay? Purely platonic!"

Okay, it was clear Jeongguk liked Taehyung but he's never told it to him to his face. Sure it was partly because he was waiting for the right moment, but mostly because he was scared of the rejection. He liked how things were now, and Taehyung never felt uncomfortable around him, he even said it himself.

"I like you a lot," Jeongguk looked back down at his unsolved math problems, which honestly didn't seem much big of a deal with the situation Jeongguk was it at that current moment. He knew for sure he wouldn't be able to say the things he wanted to all while looking into Taehyung's gorgeous amber brown eyes.

"Remember the first day of grade one? When that boy told me to stop talking because I talk to much?"

Taehyung took a few seconds, but finally recalled the memory. "Yeah, you then went to the corner of the room beside the bookshelves and cried while sipping your apple juice." He remembers that day vividly.

"Yeah. No one noticed, or cared. You came with a book in your hand. I was confused. I thought you'd either ignore me and walk away or ask what's wrong. But you just sat there beside me and quietly read."

Taehyung smiled. "Yeah, I wonder why I didn't ask you how you were like a normal child."

Jeongguk shook his head. "No! I probably would've cried even more. You sat there and opened the book wide as if you wanted me to read it. So I peeked and read along with you. The book had me giggling by the end. Then you gave the book to me saying—"

"Ah, stop," Taehyung stretched. He covered his face with his hand out of embarrassment. "I can't believe I was so bold."

Jeongguk couldn't believe Taehyung remembered, it was grade one after all. A smile made its way to his lips seeing the other being a flushed mess for once.

"Yeah. Then you left and after that day, I basically followed you around everywhere. I've admired you since then." And maybe that admiration turned into a lot more, just maybe.

"Then you moved mid-way in middle school without giving me any way of contact until I found you in the picture of my cousin's Facebook status update and found out you were at the open house out Wampeon High so then I beg–" Jeongguk stopped, realizing what he was about to say. "So then, I was overjoyed because I was going to go to the same high school as you."

Taehyung nodded. "I was really surprised to see you. I barely recognized you."

"You didn't change at all though." Jeongguk scratched the back of his neck. "Sorry for attacking you in that hug, you must've been startled."

"You've always been a hugger. I didn't mind."

Jeongguk bit his lip as the shades of red became deeper and deeper. "A-Anyways, math!"

"Oh right, sorry. Do you have any questions?"

Jeongguk finally looked up and nodded. He pointed at the practice book and circled his finger all around it. Taehyung laughed lightly before picking up his pencil and beginning to explain each question one by one. The patience the boy had for Jeongguk is just so endearing.