twenty-two²: the perfect date

JJG

Jeongguk waited excitedly, green tea ready, for Taehyung to enter.

Finally, the boring plain old colours were gone. Jeongguk had wanted to do an office makeover since he first laid his eyes on it. The bland colours, monotone grey and grey-blues were just throwing Jeongguk off. He didn't know how Taehyung could sit in such a depressing atmosphere and work.

Jeongguk stood back and admired his work. Taehyung didn't come in on the weekend as he had a business meet and since he knew ahead of time, he requested the white leather couch from the storage room to be swapped for the one in Taehyung's office. Added a rug underneath the glass table for an extra pop. He got some more colourful decorations like a few paintings he thought Taehyung would like, new plant pots and even a new mousepad. He even changed his office supplies to match his new themes.

Then lastly, he got rid of that damn microwave. Jeongguk admitted he doesn't have the best diet but he at least tried to cook dinner five times a week and prepare his own lunch as often as possible. Taehyung, on the other hand, had probably lived through a much healthier lifestyle than him being a model and he had the money. He couldn't let Taehyung eat anymore instant microwaveable food when Jeongguk is right there. He wasn't the best chef but he can whip something up.

The office door finally opened and Jeongguk jumped up from his seat. "Surprise!" he yelled and Taehyung looked as shocked as ever.

"Oh my god," he muttered, taking a look at his new office before a smile cracked to his lips. "Jeongguk, did I step into the wrong room?"

Jeongguk chuckled and walked over to him. "Do you like it? I can revert it if you don't."

Taehyung shook his head and stepped forward so that they were closer as he got another glance at the room.

"I love it," Taehyung said and Jeongguk let out a sigh of relief as he could tell the man was being genuine. He would've felt real dumb if he didn't after all the work he put into it. He would've felt even more embarrassed if Taehyung had to pretend to like it.

"But where's my microwave?" Taehyung asked, his eyes landing on the stand that now held cat ceramics and a small plastic plant.

"From now on, I'll be in charge of your lunches. If you need to use it, one of us can go to the staff room. Stop rotting you hot bod away," Jeongguk explained.

"Hot bod," Taehyung repeated slowly and Jeongguk rolled his eyes.

Taehyung grabbed his waist and pulled him close. "Thank you. I really appreciate it. It already feels much more calming already."

"You're welcome," Jeongguk said and pressed his lips against the other's for a second.

"But is this a new tradition of yours? Giving surprises to others on your birthday?" Taehyung asked when they pulled away.

"My birthday..." Jeongguk trailed, confused about what Taehyung meant.

"Gguk, don't tell me you forgot your birthday!" Taehyung exclaimed and Jeongguk was at a loss for words.

"I guess I did. I don't know. With the proposal date coming up and this side office flip project I took... I don't know," Jeongguk tried to make sense of it. He'd never forgotten a birthday before but they have become more and more repetitive. His friends would come with drinks and a cake, sometimes it'd be at his house or the rooftop and other times, a restaurant. He didn't feel the excitement of those birthdays as it always felt like a normal hangout with the addition of a cake.

"Well, happy birthday, baby," Taehyung wished and let his hands wrap him in for a hug.

"Thank you, Tae."