Chapter 16: Crumbling Brownies

Start from the beginning

5:00 p.m. Julesters: Okay.

Hm, that seemed weird. He usually texts back with more jokes or something, guess he might be nervous about this entire dinner. 

"Who ya texting?" Mateo asked from next to me, peeking at my phone.

"Arabella's boyfriend." I said winking at her.

She rolled her eyes knowing exactly who I was talking about, "Not my boyfriend, actually. I can't help he's helplessly in love with me." 

"One of these days, you'll realize how much you like him. I see the way you look at him." 

"Yeah, kinda the way I look at Ava." Mateo joked.

I hit him and got up, "If you'll excuse me, I've got brownies to deliver." 

I went to the kitchen and put them in a container, and left two out for Mateo. I then realized that Mateo had picked us up, so I went over to him.

"Can you pretty please take me to Chase's?" I begged. 

He rolled his eyes and got up, "Sure, but only if you-"

"I already left two on the table." I said cutting him off.

He smiled at me and ran upstairs to put real clothes on. "Wanna come? Julian might be there." I asked Arabella.

I saw her cheeks get red, but she just shook her head. "I'm good."

When was she going to stop denying the feelings. I wondered who hurt her so much, she stopped letting herself trust anyone else. I wanted to ask but I felt she would tell me when she was ready. 

"Let's go!" Mateo said grabbing his keys and walking out of his fancy apartment.

I followed him out, clutching the brownies in my arms. "I wonder how sick he is." I asked worrying myself.

"He's not going to die." Mateo deadpanned. 

We got into his car, and drove off. Mateo's apartment was fairly close to the dorms so it only took us a short while to get there. I hadn't noticed that it was almost time for the football dinner, and I couldn't help but imagine Chase disappointed in his bed probably hurling into a bucket. My poor football baby.

"Wait for me, I won't take long." I said getting out of his mustang. I had the brownies and a little note I had placed inside to cheer him up. 

As I walked towards the entrance, Chase was walking out. Dressed from head to toe in an expensive suit. Suddenly I felt like an idiot holding brownies. His gaze met mine and shock was written all over his face.

"Ava! Uh, what are you doing here..?" He questioned.

I was at a loss for words, not being able to believe the current situation. I took in his appearance noticing the emerald green tie he wore. "I- uh.. wow."

He gazed at me taking steps closer to me, but I backed up not wanting to be anywhere near him. "I'm sorry, okay. I just wasn't think-"

"Chase, I grabbed one of your sweatshirts in case I got cold." Cartia said emerging from the dorms.

This was it. I had never expected anything like this to happen. I was so naive! This was the last thing I expected Chase to do to me. I felt like he was going back to his player ways from high school. My heart kept breaking with every glance at the pair. 

They looked perfect. The total IT couple. They matched perfectly, and the fact that she clutched his sweatshirts in her hands broke me. But I refused to cry in front of them, I wasn't going to waste my tears any longer. 

"I saw this coming." I bitterly stated. "I heard you two at the beach, and I just ignored it. Because I thought you would never consider it." 

"Ava, just hear me out. I can explain, Cartia needed-"

"No. I'm done listening to whatever bullshit comes out of her mouth. I feel like such an idiot!" I exasperated. "To think I was bringing you brownies, because I thought you were sick." 

I pushed the brownies into his arms, and began to walk away but Chase caught a hold of my hand, "Don't leave like this."

I spun around and snatched my hand away from Chase, "Like what? You lied to me! Chase, how many times are you going to keep breaking your promises!?"

"It's not like that. Please, baby. I need you." Chase pleaded with me. His eyes began to tear up, and I was bound to cave into him.

Mateo came up behind me, "Ava, let's go." 

Chase's face enraged, "Fuck off dude. How many times are you gonna keep bothering her!?" 

I stood in front of him, "Stop! You're the one bothering me, not him."

Chase looked at me, "Really? You're going with this guy?" 

I scoffed, "You ditched me for her. You aren't allowed to have an opinion right now." I turned around to him ready to tell him everything that Cartia had done, "And you know what.. Cartia isn't who she says she is."

Cartia eyes widened and she narrowed her eyes at me, but I stopped myself. As much as I hated her and wanted to ruin her. Chase deserved a career, and she could get him there. 

"What are you talking about?" Chase questioned.

"Nothing."

"You're just insecure Ava. If I knew you would understand, I wouldn't have to lie about this." Chase said completely taking me off guard. This wasn't him, he would never talk to me like this.

"Screw you Chase." I said walking off towards the Mateo's car. 

"If you leave with him Ava, consider us done." He yelled behind me. I stopped in my tracks with my back to Chase, unsure of what to do.

But, I was done. I couldn't take the constant fake smiles, the lies, and the disappointments anymore. So I walked away. Completely drowning them out and not giving them a second glance. I didn't say anything, and was glad Mateo didn't question me. As we drove off, I made the biggest mistake in looking at him. 

His face was filled with sadness, but what upset me more was who was comforting him. I did what I told myself I wasn't going to do, and I bawled in the car. I cried my eyes out and silently prayed the pain would go away. 

Mateo put his hand over mine and comforted me. He didn't fuss about my tears, but let me be a mess. For once, I felt a weight being lifted from my shoulders but a pain in my chest resonated knowing he chose her over me. Knowing I was right along, and knew I wasn't good enough for him.

***