gilbert/billy

i sat there with jane and some other girl talking about what comes to mind to fill the silence. "billy's staring at you." jane whispers discreetly as i meet his eyes. "he could have been looking at her." i whisper back to the stubborn girl pointing at the other girl sat at the table. "you know how much he talks about you? and it's only been one day." she continues ignoring what i've said.

i go to glare at the girl when i hear the door open to reveal josie, tillie, diana, and a crying ruby. "what's wrong?" i ask the girls standing from where i'm sitting to comfort her, although janes told me already. "anne, she has to ruin everything." josie speaks sitting down in the seat i was sat at. i hug the girl as she calms down wiping the stray tears. "everything will be alright." i whisper hoping to ease her crying.

from behind her i see gilbert staring. "gilbert's staring." i say in hopes to bring a smile to her face. it worked. she wipes whats left of her tears and calms down. "do i look ok?"

"more than ok." i say as a smile appears on her face. i walk off to sit on the other side of where tillie is now sat. "good morning y/n." she says. "good morning." i look towards the door once again waiting to see anne walk in. minutes pass and i impatiently stand up from the conversation and head out. but not before being stopped by billy. "i'm sorry." he says blocking my way out. "will you let me pass?" i ask not wanting to spend another second with the boy. "i know what i did was wrong of me. i am truly sorry."

"i'm not the one you should be apologizing to." i say getting him off guard, as i slip past and out the door. "anne?" i question bob search for the red head. i walk around the building seeing her stood against the wall staring out into the horizon. "anne are you alright?" i ask the solemn girl. "i'm fine." she say in a simple answer. "class is about to start." i state hearing the loud bell ring throughout the school. "i'll be there in a minute." eyes staring off in front of her, i head back, she doesn't want to be bothered. i'll just give her time.

rounding the corner i bump into someone. "i'm so sorry i wasn't looking where i was going." i quickly apologize locking eyes with none another than gilbert. "i was um..." he begins saying stumbling on his words.

"i should get going, class is starting and you know how mr. phillips gets his dander up about that." i say recalling what he previously said when we first met. he laughs allowing me to pass by. i run in just as the teacher walks in. i sit down quickly getting my things out.

~~~

lunch time arrives as it does very day and the girls crowd around the window just staring at anne. i only sit down at the nearest desk, working on the lesson mr. phillips taught moments ago. "y/n will you stop working and come over here." i hear josie say not leaving her eyes from the view outside. "i'm busy." i mumble feeling a shift from beside me. i decide not to look at the culprit, knowing there's a possibility it could be billy. "can i talk to you?" i hear his voice. why must i always be right? i ignore him, going on with my work. "y/n."

"y/n." he repeats knowing well enough he's getting on my nerves by the smirk, i see in my peripheral vision, plastered on his annoying face. i look up not facing him but looking to the group of girls. their eyes solely out the window. i walk up to them, wanting to see what is so interesting. diana slightly moves giving me space to see the outside. and there she is anne sitting on a stump all gloomy. "but what i don't get is why she can't hang out with us?" i mumble, ignored by the girls focusing on the red head.

when i look back there he is, gilbert, being the kind person he is, and checking to see how anne is. i am tugged away from the window, what is it with people pulling me away all the time? i see janes brown locks taking me to the other side of the classroom. "what did he tell you?" she asks.