Chapter 46

Owww. Stupid headache, stupid alcohol, stupid people buying said alcohol.

I haven't even opened my eyes yet, I know what's coming when I do. The headache will feel 10 times worse than it does now, and no one needs that sort of pain in their life.

I sit up, but I have to count down slowly from 10 – 0 before I slowly open my eyes to reveal the pleasant world around me, I look down at ... my duvet? I know I was really drunk last night, but I swear I was in Ronan's bed? So why the hell am I in my own bed, on my own? I'm wearing his t-shirt still so I know it happened, I'm not crazy, at least I don't think so anyway.

I begin to look around the room, as I turn my head to the side I notice that on the unit, is a bottle of water and a few tablets, with a note.

Kara,

As soon as you wake up and IF you can even read this, with that humongous headache that you probably have (painkillers next to the water) you need to get up and get sorted for the day. Cain is returning later today and the last thing that is needed is our scents to be on each other.

That's it!? What's wrong with our scents being mixed? Were mates after all, and that's what mates do! So that's why I'm in my own bed, away from him, so no one can catch our scent on each other, but why? Does Ronan really fear Cain that much? I know he said at the start that Cain would kill him if he ever found out. But they're supposed to be friends. They've been friends since school; would Cain really behave that way, just to get me?

I scrunch the note up before throwing it across the room, then throwing myself backwards on the pillow letting out the most unlady like huff.

I sit there for a few minutes, contemplating what the point is, but all I do is end up with more questions than answers. What's the point?

I get up, take the tablets and water, and down them in one. At least my mate was being helpful in that way. I walk over to the note, pick it up and chuck it in my fireplace, watching it to make sure that it burns. There's no way that a note like that needs to get into the wrong hands. At least I see with my own eyes that it was destroyed properly. Then I put the fire out before I proceed to make my way into the bathroom to have a shower and sort myself out, and to get Ronan's stupid male scent off me and to cool me and my aching muscles down! It was clearly too hot in my bedroom with the fire going.

As soon as I'm washed and dressed I make my way back into my room to get dressed before heading down for breakfast.

Walking down the stairs seems to tire me out a lot me than it usually would, I'm practically panting and sweating by the time I make it to the kitchen.

I take a seat in the kitchen area, just trying to calm my breathing down. Deep breath in ... slow breath out, and repeat.

Why isn't this working?! I've seen it on all the doctor TV programs, I know it was for humans, but surely it should work for us too.

Maybe eating will help calm me down. I instantly lean across and grab a banana from the fruit bowl. As I start to peel it, I hear someone walking down the corridor towards me. In this house, I can narrow it down to a select few of who it could be.

I eat a little bit quicker than usual, although there are some people here I don't mind walking into too, there are also some that I really, really don't want to bump in to.

As I finish off I go to stand to turn around as Cain's dad, William walks in. Shit.

"Ahh, good morning Kara, lovely to see you as usual"

Creep! The apple really didn't fall far from the tree with this family. Father and son are so alike, but I still haven't seen Vanessa the whole time I've been here. Where is she hiding?

I don't even lift my head up, he knows I don't want to be here, and I would rather be confined to a pack on the other side of the world than be here.

"oh don't be like that sweet heart ..." William stops what he's saying and freezes, before he lifts his face to sniff the air around him. Then I see the stupid smile on his face, another thing him and his son have in common.

"Cain's going to be thrilled when he gets back, perfect timing if I do say so myself. I would suggest for you to stay inside until he returns" and with that he walks back off.

When I know its safe and I won't bump into him then I'll leave the kitchen. I give it a few minutes then I go to leave, and return to my room. I make it to the bottom of the stairs. As I lift my foot to ascend, my body immediately drops to the floor in pain. My hand goes straight to the source of pain.

Why didn't I notice earlier? My body temperature, my breathing, and now the pain in my abdomen.

I'm in heat ... again