Last One - Act 2, Scene 2

Start from the beginning

Demi: Hey.

Joe: Hey, I got you flowers.

Demi: Aw thanks, just put them over there for now, I'll get the nurse to sort them out.

Joe puts the flowers on the window sill next to the array of "Get Well Soon" cards. The room was like any average hospital room - plain, so white that hurt to look at the walls for too long. Demi's belongings were placed on the table next to the bed - it was cluttered yet not so much that it was untidy.

Joe: How you feeling?

Joe sits on the chair next to the bed

Demi tries to sit up further so she can face him

Demi: Not as bad. How are you? Adele said you weren't coping well.

Joe: She did? Oh, no, no I'm fine, don't worry about me Dem. Just focus on getting better.

Demi: If you're sure. Remember you can always talk to me Joe, you're not a burden.

Joe: Thanks Dem. Same goes for you too.

Demi: There is something I need to tell you guys about the scan results actually.

Joe: That doesn't sound good.

Demi: Yeah, it's not great to be honest.

Adele and Ethan walk into the room

Adele: Hey Dem.

Demi: Hey!

Adele gives Demi a hug

Ethan: We got you food Dem.

Demi: (Laughs) Thanks guys.

Joe: Dem was just saying she needs to tell us something.

Ethan: Sounds important.

Demi: Yeah, it is.

Adele: Dem, you okay?

Demi: Yeah, yeah. I might as well tell you now that you're all here.

Adele: Go ahead Dem, we're listening.

"The 30th" by Billie Eilish starts playing in the background...

Demi: You know the medics were unsure as to how bad my back injury was?

Joe: Yeah?

Demi: Yeah so they did some more tests to make sure, and I'm paralysed from the waist down.

Demi starts to tear up, Adele hugs Demi

Ethan: Wait...you can't move your legs?

Demi: No. I didn't realise at first because I was in shock.

Joe: I'm so sorry Dem.

Demi: Why? It's not like its your fault. I don't blame anyone apart from the driver. (Laughs lightly)

Ethan: How much of that day do you remember Dem?

Demi: Mum said I got hit by a car? Why, what else happened? You're scaring me? Joe?

Joe: No no no, don't be scared. It's just a lot to take in Dem.

Demi: Okay...

Joe: Before you got hit, Beau and I were fighting because of me hugging you. I overreacted and punched him, and then that turned into a full-on fight. And then you being you, tried to get in between us and break it up. But then you ended up getting pushed as well as the both of us, but into the road, and then you got hit.