Last One - Act 4, Scene 10

Same setting - Adele and Ethan just finished dancing

Same two students as before walk back on the stage

Student 1: That was beautiful you guys.

Adele and Ethan laugh softly and smile

Student 2: And now it's time to hear the goodbye speeches from our last dance King and Queen... Demi Jacobs and Joe Harvey.

Joe looks confused

Joe: We had to do speeches!?

Beau: Yeah dude.

Joe: I'll make it up as I go along.

Demi turns to Joe

Demi: You coming?

Joe: Yeah love. I'll go first if that's okay?

Demi: Yeah yeah of c-course.

Joe walks up on stage

Demi makes her way up behind him using her crutches

Joe: So I didn't know that I actually had to do a speech so I'm just gonna make this up as I go. Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been here for a while... I know some have been happy about it, others might not have even noticed. But either way I've been gone for four months and thought I owed at lesst some of you an explanstion. The truth is, I've been in rehab...

Everyone gasps

Joe: You can talk and whisper all you like but I'm not ashamed of it. I needed the help, and I'm glad I got it when I did because I wouldn't be here otherwise.

Joe reaches for Demi's hand and holds it

Joe: What I'm basically trying to say is don't be afraid to ask for help. It's okay to admit you're struggling, most of us are but just don't admit it. I know I did. But anyway, hope you all have a good night and don't drink too much that you throw up. Thanks and goodbye.

Joe smiles while everyone claps

He moves away from the microphone and Demi steps towards it

Demi: Well what can I say. These p-past few years have been a hell of a mess. This year in particular because of a n-number of shitty things that went down, but I'm just glad that I'm here. Okay, nothing has g-gone to plan, but it still turned out alright in the end. I meant look at us, we're at our p-prom! We actually made it here in one piece just about.

Students laugh

Demi: But I honestly c-couldn't have done any of this without my friends. They've helped so so so much this year, especially when I was in the accident. I would've never even thought I'd be standing up here talking back then! I have so much love for you guys and am so grateful. (Starts tearing up)

Ethan: (shouting from the crowd) We love you to Dem!

Demi laughs

Demi: Love you too Ethan. (Laughs)

Students laugh

Demi: Part of me does wish that I could stay here longer...but I know that wouldn't make leaving better. So instead of being sad about leaving, why don't we make the most of tonight while we're all together. One last time right? And on that note, I hope everyone has a good rest of their night and get home safe. I love you all and thanks for one hell of a year. Goodbye.

Students clap and cheer for both Demi and Joe

Demi smiling widely as she walks up to Joe and hugs him tightly