Chapter 12 - Game Locker

Start from the beginning

We were driving for maybe 15 minutes until she pulled into a street, saw a cop car, turned around and then stoped in the back street where a back entrance to this mansion was. “Please don’t tell me this is where the axe murders were.” I muttered, knowing full well that that was just wishful thinking. Lydia silently got out and gracefully walked through the backdoor that wasn’t locked. “Well I think we solved the mystery of how the killer got into the house.”

“Where are we?” Lydia finally said and spun around to face me.

“Oh good you’re back with me. You kinda zoned out for a while and led me to a murder house, thank-you. Now can we get out before…”

“Beacon County Sheriff’s department! This is a crime scene, show yourself!” Deputy Parrish’s voice echoed through the house.

“That happens.” I whispered. “Okay, lets just quietly sneak back out the door.”

“No I came here for a reason.” Lydia whispered back.

“What reason? To get arrested? I’m fairly sure the station keeps tabs and we’re well past our strike limit of showing up at crime scenes. Let’s go. I promise we’ll break in a little more subtly at the next murder house we come across.” I grabbed her arm and pulled her back the way we came.

“Freeze!”

“Crap.” I muttered.

“Well done.” Lydia whispered back as we spun around to face Parrish. When he saw who it was he lowered his gun.

“Are you kidding me?”

“Hi, Jordan… I mean, Deputy Parrish, ‘cuz you’re in uniform.” I said with a slight awkward laugh. “How’s your day been?”

“What are you doing here, Anna?”

“It was my fault.” Lydia said. “I would try to explain it, but I’ve never gotten a satisfactory explanation myself.” Lydia began as she started walking around the house. Jordan looked at me and I shrugged and followed Lydia.

“Just an unusual habit of showing up at places where people have been brutally murdered.” Parrish said.

“Are you saying I have a reputation?” Lydia asked.

“An unusual one.” He added. “Maybe you’re psychic.” He offered. Lydia scoffed while I yet again laughed awkwardly.

“You believe in that?” I asked.

“I’d like to say I don’t believe in anything… but I like to keep an open mind.” Lydia wondered off over to a wooden wall and stared at it. “But if you’re looking for dead bodies I think you’re a little late.” Parrish said to me.

“Oh, no. Believe me I’ve seen enough of them. Lydia, can we go. The guys would have finished tryouts by now, it would be rude to not see how they went because we were to busy looking to star in a real life American Horror Story.” I had to think about what I’d just said realizing that we probably already had on some level. “Lydia?” Lydia didn’t move and slowly lifted her hand to the wooden wall and pressed, causing a clicking sound and revealing that the wall was actually a door. “Great.” I muttered under my breath.

Lydia spun around as Parrish grabbed out his gun and stepped forward. Lydia opened the door more and we both walked in after Parrish.

The corridor was dark and cold. Everything about it said torture dungeon. The corridor went around a few corners until finally it opened up into a big dank room. Parrish found the switch and turned on the lights as he put away his gun. There were bags hanging from the ceiling.

“I think it’s a game locker.” He said. “Like venison. Hunting is legal in some parts of the state.” He continued.

But he was wrong. The smell was wrong. It wasn’t deer. My nose was filled with dozens of different scents, dead scents, but one of them was somewhat familiar. My attention was drawn to one of the bags in the second row as I slowly made my way towards with an outstretched shaking hand.

“Anna…?” Lydia asked. “What are you doing?” I heard an unzipping sound behind me as Parrish probably unzipped a bag.

I grabbed hold of the zip of the bag I was heading for and started to undo it. Parrish’s hand grabbed my wrist before I could get any further than in inch. “Don’t.” He said. “Let’s get you out of here.” He started to pull me away.

“No, no. No!” I stuttered and ripped away and back to the bag, wasting no time in ripping it open. The plastic side fell back and I felt myself falling. Parrish caught me as I weakly tried to steady myself.

“Oh my god.” Lydia whispered as tears started to brim and burn my eyes.

“Who is it?” Parrish asked.

“Jake.” Lydia replied.

I told you he'd be back :)

What now? :)