Chapter 9 - Friendship

Lydia had apparently stubbled across a crime scene. Another one. Can’t say I envied her banshee powers all that much. Kira was with her and we were on the phone to them.

“What does it look like?” Scott asked.

“Are we sure we want to know this?” I muttered. He glared at me. “What? I think I’ve seen more than enough dead bodies to keep me satisfied for quite some time, thank-you.” Scott’s phone went off, indicating that Lydia had sent a photo. Curiosity got the better of me however and I found myself looking at the bloody mess. “Lovely.” I whispered.

“Definitely Kate.” Peter said.

“How can you tell?”

“Well it’s supernatural and unless Scott has in fact bitten someone, I can’t think of anyone else.”

“Why would she want to kill a gas station attendant?” Malia asked.

“I don’t think she could help it. This was done in frenzy. It’s not a murder, it’s a symptom.” Peter said.

“Of what?” Scott questioned.

“She can’t control the shift.” I answered as Peter nodded.

“Derek said he didn’t have control either, at least not of the full moon. He’s still learning.” Scott said.

“Kate’s still learning?” Malia asked.

Peter shook his head, “She wants to learn.”

“So she wants Derek to teach her?” Malia asked, obviously getting annoyed by Peter and his vaguely annoying answers.

“No… she wants the triskalion.”

“A symbol?” I asked him.

“No. A tool.” He looked at me pointedly like he was about to go into some sort of lesson and I knew I would have to think for the answer. “Something to focus on.” He hinted.

“Alpha, beta, omega.” I said and he nodded. “So it has no power, it’s just an object?”

“Yes, but Kate doesn’t know that. Derek probably mentioned it, leaving out a few details. I know where they’re going.” Peter headed for the door. “There’s a vault under the school, it was there before Beacon Hills High. It belongs to our family. The triskalion is inside.”

“Someone really just needs to bulldoze our high school and start again somewhere.” I muttered as we made our way to the vehicles. Malia rode on the back of Scott’s bike, not wanting to be in the car with Peter who was with me.

“Can you tone down the creepy next time, please?” I asked him once we were alone and driving. He looked at me in a questioning way. “With Malia. I mean, really? Beautiful eyes?! I get the whole long lost daughter thing, but she doesn’t know so please just tone it back a bit.”

“Okay, what do you propose I do next time then?”

“I don’t know! Compliment her boots! Or just avoid compliments all together and be your normal cryptic, vague, smartass self. No offense.” I quickly added on the end.

“Who exactly has been informing her of my… indiscretions?”

“That’s how you’re going to refer to it? Really?” He didn’t respond. “Lydia.” I finally said. “And Malia does need to know. I mean you did kill a bunch of people, one of whom was your niece.”

“Well I’d prefer she found out after she learnt I was her father.” I slammed on the breaks and the car came to a screeching halt. “What the hell are you…”