Chapter 47 - The Monsters Inside

Our slow steady walk turned into a run. I wasn't entirely sure if Peter knew where he was going. It was sort of just a shot in the dark, hoping we'd make the right turn and stumble across Scott and Kira.

It was an odd feeling. The further we went the stronger the hint of darkness from Scott. Like it was becoming clearer the closer I got to him, but it was also growing. Nothing to be worried about, like I had said to Liam I was thinking far to much for the Nix to take over, but it still made me a little nervous. It was like the black fog was inching it's way towards my side of the connection.

"Okay, stop, stop, stop!" Peter eventually pulled us up. "We've got to figure out where we are, then we've got to figure out how to find Scott and Kira."

We all silently agreed just as Stiles' phone began to ring. "Wh- h-how do I even have service?" Stiles whispered too himself before actually answering it.

"Stiles!" I whisper yelped over to him as he took a few steps away from us to take the phone call, but he waved his hand back at me in a silencing motion.

"Hi dad." He said.

Peter made a gesture towards Stiles and then looked back at me, Malia and Liam in a way that said, 'is this actually happening?'

"Okay, dad I know you're angry..."

"Oooh, I'm beyond angry." I heard the sheriff reply. "I have reached a level of fury that you could not possibly comprehend."

"Okay, well, when I get back you can ground me." Stiles shrugged.

"Ground you?" The sheriff whispered before repeating it a little louder, "I am going to hobble you!" There was a brief pause, "Now please... tell me you're alright. Tell me that you're safe."

Stiles glanced over to me, "You want me to lie?"

"Oh god, okay... tell me what can I do, how can I help?"

Stiles thought for a moment before explaining the situation with Lydia to his dad, "She was at the school. Liam called Mason to look for her, but now we're not hearing back from either of them."

"Okay... I'll find Lydia and Mason. You get Scott and Kira, you save your friends."

"Stiles!" I whispered over to him, taking a step closer, "If it's a berserker, he'll need more than his handgun and badge."

"Dad, if it's one of the berserker's at the school than you're going to need fire power, a lot."

I grabbed the phone from Stiles, which he didn't object too, "Like a bomb." I stated to the Sheriff. "Do you have an RPG, Bazooka, landmine? Anything just a tad bigger than a grenade."

"Yeah, yeah, I'll find something, but I'm not walking into the school with an RPG. Oh and Anna?"

"Yeah?"

"You are in the same boat as Stiles... when you get back..." He began in a warning tone.

"Hobbling?" I offered.

"Yes." He stated adamantly before taking in a deep breath and continuing in a much softer tone. "Keep him safe, yeah? Watch out for him?" He asked.

I looked over up at Stiles, still holding the phone and smiled, "Yeah. Always do."

I handed the phone back to Stiles and with a few more 'stay safes' from both ends we turned back to the others.

"What do we do now?" Liam asked.

"Scott's close." I stated.

"You can feel him again?" Stiles asked, getting his hopes up as I shook my head.

"Not really. I just know he's..."

"Duck!" Malia cut me off as she grabbed the back of Liam neck and shoved him to the ground, pushing him forward just as a berserker came out of nowhere and leapt at them.

"Go, go, go!" Peter yelled, "Get back!" He began to usher everyone into the open space next to us and out of the corridor like place we currently stood as this berserker recover and stared us down. "Anna!" He yelled at me when I didn't move. I found myself immobilized as I looked up into the dark brown eyes that were hidden behind that animal scull. The creature too stared back.

"What is she doing?!" Liam yelled from where him, Malia and Stiles all stood in the open space looking at where I was still standing in the hallway. Peter was right behind me and I could hear him slowing inching his way closer, lightly touching my arm as if any sudden movements might set the berserker off.

It was like I was being hypnotised, staring into it's eyes, but I could see that it too felt the same way. Like a magnet I took a step towards it.

"Pull her back!" Malia yelled at the same time as Stiles yelled, "Get her out of there!"

I found myself slowly lifting my arm in a synchronised motion to the berserker, his left arm and my right.

"Anna, what are you doing?" Peter demanded in a whisper.

As the tip of my index finger reached out slowing like sleeping beauty reaching for the spinning wheel I realized what was happening, "It's..." That's as far as my sentence got. Before I could even manage the only syllable in Scott's name I finally touched the berserker's hand and like a shockwave, the darkness exploded in my mind and the connection between me and Scott, the now berserker, snapped like a rubber band just as fast as our hands dropped back to our sides.

I looked up at this giant creature that had taken the place of my former best friend before slowly turning back to face an incredibly surprised Peter who's hand was still resting on my arm. I couldn't quite make out his reaction. He was surprised, but pleasantly surprised. A ghost of a smile flicked across his face, but dropped instantly when I flashed a devilish smile, letting my eyes glow a bright luminous green as he stumbled back to the others.

"Oh no..." Stiles whispered.

"Anna...?" Liam asked in a small voice as I slowly stepped out of the shadowed corridor, the berserker walking behind me.

"That's not Anna." Stiles whispered.

"Oh but it is, Stiles. We've been over this... I wasn't possessed like you were." I smiled through my canines.

"No, but when you become the Nix you lose who you were. Don't let it happen again."

"Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes... they win." I said calmly.

"Oh I really wish you'd stop with those quotes." He stated as I let out an amused and boarder line evil chuckle.

I flicked my claws out and roared threateningly, the sounds echoing around us and being carried back down the corridor we were just in.

Malia and Liam both looked confused as to what to do as Stiles stumbled back a step and Peter sighed with an eye roll, "Brilliant." He muttered sarcastically as I charged towards him, leaving Berserker Scott to charge at the others.

It's short I know, but I felt like that was a pretty good place to stop... sorry :).

I've figured out how the end is going to work now, but It's just taking a bit longer to write because I'm actually writing 'Burnt' at the same time. The next bit will be a Derek POV followed by another Anna and I hope to have it up today, but I do have a rather large list of things I have to get done that require actually leaving my house (*cries* it's too bloody cold to even get out of bed and make a coffee!), but also an update on my 'Hobbit' fanfic. 

BUT THE NEW EPISODE IS COMING OUT SOON!!!... Sort of soon, BUT SOON!!! I'm really excited and i'm hopping Donovan has more involvement and a bigger role (hopefully one that doesn't include death, but I'm really not holding out much too much hope for that one because I can picture a dramatic death where the Sheriff has to shoot him in self defence or something.)

Anywho... Opinions on this update? Any ideas or thoughts, I'm always open to them. xxx.

P.S I know the image is of vampire Caroline Forbes, but you get the idea. Just picture longer teeth a glowing green eyes :).