Chapter 5 - Watched

“Stiles!” Malia’s voice broke us apart. “I don’t think we hit something. I think something hit us.” She held out what looked like a bone that had been sharpened into a knife.

Stiles and I quickly walked over to her to get a better look. It had some kind of roped wrapped around the end to make a handle. “Where was it?” I asked.

“On top of the front wheel. It was lodged into the side of the jeep.” She replied.

“Doesn’t explain the engine not working.” Kira said.

“I think Stiles did that with his swerving and braking.” I teased as he lightly kicked my foot. I lightly slapped his shoulder in return and he went to face me straight on.

“Don’t even think about it, you two!” Lydia snapped. Kira and Malia exchanged a confused glance. “Don’t ask.” Lydia said to them.

“Okay, lets just fix the thing.” Malia changed the subject and went to the hood of the jeep to open it. Stiles went around tot the back and got some tools.

“Know what you’re doing?” I asked.

“Can’t be that hard.” He shrugged.

Half an hour later he was still fiddling around in the engine as we girls sat back.

“Why don’t we just walk?” Lydia asked.

“Hey! I will never abandon this Jeep, you hear me? Ever.” He snapped.

“Don’t mess with the Jeep.” I whispered to her.

“Why did Scott, the only mechanical one among us leave?”

“You’re the genius.” I shrugged.

“Work faster Stiles.” Malia’s voice brought our attention as she looked to the desert surroundings. “There is something out here with us.”

Stiles looked at me as if I was meant to confirm it. I hadn’t been paying much attention to what was out there, but now I turned on my senses. I didn’t know what it was, but I could feel it. We were being watched and there was an odd scent. Not a werewolf or anything else we had come across, but it certainly wasn’t human. I looked back at Stiles.

“She’s right. I don’t know what it is, but it’s not human and it’s not a wild animal. Lydia help Stiles the rest of us will keep watch.” I said as I pushed off the edge of the Jeep to walk around the group. Malia stayed where she was and I took the back while Kira kept moving, her sword in hand.

The sun set and Lydia had to hold the flashlight for Stiles. We had been here for at least an hour.

“Lydia can you please just hold the flashlight still for one second. It’s really hard to see anything when you keep shaking it like that.”

“I’m shaking it like this because we’re in the middle of nowhere with your broken down Jeep and being attacked with yet another razor clawed monster… and I’m terrified.”

“Well just be slightly less terrified.” Stiles and Lydia’s banters were the only sound there was. “And hold this.” He said.

“What is this?” I turned around to see some part of the engine.

“I don’t know, I’m hoping it’s not important.”

“We are never getting out of here.” I muttered to myself. My thoughts drifted to Scott, wondering if he had found Derek yet or had even made it to the church.

I left my post to see how things were at the front. “Stiles, should you leave the headlights on? Won’t the battery go flat?” I asked.

He shrugged. “Not just yet, they’re still working – therefore the battery isn’t yet flat.”