Chapter 21 - Big Macs and Pringles

I didn’t take my foot off the gas until I reached Peter’s apartment. Scott would yell at me later, but I didn’t want to be near him at the moment and Peter’s place was the only one I could think of where he wouldn’t follow me.

I’s had dreams like it before, but this one was different. Stronger. More vivid. It reminded me of the dream where I teamed up with Peter and killed Derek. I may be overreacting, but in a way that dream had come true. I killed Jake and Peter helped cover it up.

All I knew was I couldn’t be near Scott or anyone else in the group at the moment, but as I was driving I found myself slowing down until I pulled over on the side of the road. I could see Peter’s apartment building in the distance.

No more.

Those words echoed around my mind. “How?” I found myself whispering to myself.

Then I saw him again. Standing in front of my headlights, clear as day. I didn’t waste any time in jumping out. He ran into the woods next to my car and I found myself running after him. I had only ever seen him outside my dreams a few times and I never even had the chance to walk up to him, but this time was different. He wasn’t hiding anymore.

It may not have been the best plan in the world. To chase someone I didn’t know into the woods at night when there were assassins after us all, but I needed to know.

“Who are you?!” I yelled as I chased him. “What do you want?!” He came to stop among the trees and turned to face me. “Please…” it came out as a begging whisper. “Tell me.”

His face softened as tears almost spilled down my cheek, almost. “I am sorry child.” He spoke in that deep raspy voice laced with a thick German accent.

“Sorry for what? Who are you?”

“I am Hans Kalb and I have been watching over my bloodline since I was killed by my 12 year old daughter, 259 years ago.”

“What?” I asked with eyebrows raised.

“Her mother… a women I believed to have been my wife at the time was like you. A Nix. She killed my wife and took her likeness, tricking myself and everyone we knew. It was only after our daughter’s birth did she tell me the truth and leave. If we did not share a child she would have killed me. 12 years later my daughter drowned in the lake near our village. She came back like you, but she didn’t have a werewolf side to help her nor the knowledge of an emissary. She lost who she was and I became her first victim. I watched over her and the daughters in her bloodline. Very few have awakened the curse, only one other before yourself some century ago, but she died by the hands of hunters as my daughter did before her. I watch the Nix, the evils of its ways.”

“It? You say it like I’m possessed.”

“In many ways you are child and I chose to believe that you are for if I think any different it means my own daughter who I loved more than anything and raised on my own murdered me in cold blood for no reason other than to bring her joy.”

“Why do you watch when you can’t do anything?”

“I watch and I observe in hopes that one day I will see the Nix defeated in some way that doesn’t end in death’s kiss delivered by a hunter and instead the girls returned soul and compassion.” Everything he said was in a manor like it was from another time and I guess that’s because he was. My great, great, great, you know what I don’t know how many greats there are I just know there’s a lot, grandfather. “You have almost accomplished that. The Nix is part of who you are, there is no changing that, but I believe you can learn to control it on your own without the assistance of your friend. When you achieve this, my child, I can move on.”