Chapter 45 - Going To Church

So maybe death wasn't as imminent as I thought. They weren't here. Liam was on the field and I saw Malia sitting in a front row on another stand, but Scott, Stiles and Kira were nowhere to be seen and I had no idea where Lydia was.

Suddenly not at all interested in the game, I closed my eyes and tried to lower the wall, but it was no use. I needed silence and the crowds were screaming to loudly. I stood, getting ready to leave when I saw the beta Brett from the rival school illegally knock Liam down and I felt myself getting all protective.

"What the hell did you do that for?" I heard Liam ask Brett as they both took off their helmets. Of course no one else near me or even on the other players could hear it though.

"'Cuz you're afraid, I can smell it on you from across the field." Brett replied. Now that he mentioned it so could I, but Liam had been like that for days now, which is why I hadn't really left him alone much lately unless Mason was around. "Are you hurt?"

"No." Liam said.

"Are you still alive?" Brett asked.

"Obviously." He spat back.

"Then get up." Brett demanded as Liam got to his feet and I began to walk back off the grand stand, realising that Brett was actually helping him, more or less.

I quickly darted over to Malia and sat beside her. "Where are they?"

"Stiles went to find Scott and Kira, I'm staying here in case they show up and Lydia decided to help find Deaton and see if she could help him with Derek. Where were you? We tried calling?"

"I lost track of time, I was reading of all things." I explained as I grabbed out my phone and realised that I'd left the damn thing on silent from when I was watching the movie. "Damn, sorry I forgot it was on silent."

"Can you track Scott?"

"Yeah, but not here. I need to find somewhere quiet to concentrate. You stay here, call me if anything happens."

She nodded, "You too."

I ran off, heading to the locker room. The boys locker room, hoping I might find Stiles there, but I didn't so I just sat on one of the benches and concentrated.

1 minute, 3 minutes, 5 minutes, 7 minutes, 10 and then... the entire lacrosse team burst through the door. "I just want to catch one break, that's all I want." I complained as I jumped up and was met by quite a few staring eyes. "Good game, boys." I said awkwardly and then began to push my way through the crowd, but someone grabbed my hand.

"Did you find him?" Liam asked.

I shook my head. "Look, I'll explain in a minute when everyone clears out. I'll be out in the hallway, okay?" Liam nodded and I left, still awkwardly pushing past sweaty boys as I did. If you think the boy's locker rooms smell bad... try it with a wolf's nose. The only ones that didn't make me want to gag were the werewolves and in this case that was only Liam and Brett who looked at me curiously as I pushed past, but didn't say anything.

I sat on the ground outside the door still trying to focus on the wall until the boys piled out again and I jumped up. I stood there still being awkward as they walked past me one by one and when I thought that enough of them had left I went back inside. I waited until the last two players left before finding Liam who was sitting on a bench. Brett was standing next to him and I just caught the last bit of their conversation.

"Do you know how luck you are?"

"What do you mean?" Liam asked.

"Scott's a true alpha. That means he didn't get his powers because he was born with it, he didn't get it by stealing it or killing someone. He earned it. You're not strong because you can lift a lot of weight now; you're strong because you endure. Satomi calls it strength of Character. You're lucky to have him." Brett finished as he walked away. He passed me on the way out and nodded and I gave him a smile in return before heading over to Liam.