Chapter 30 - Quarantine

It didn’t take the CDC long to arrive, decked out in yellow safety suits as they began to set up the quarantine tents in the classrooms.

I was standing with Scott inside a tent with Sydney and Mrs Martin. “We isolate the sick and wait for instructions.” She explained as she handed Sydney a blanket. “If I’m wrong then we’ll be out of here pretty quickly and I become the crazy biology teacher who panicked for nothing.” She said before leaving.

The rash had spread on Sydney’s arm and she continued to look at it in wonder. “Hey, you’re going to be okay.” Scott said.

“It’s not that… the PSAT is the qualifying test for the national merit scholarship. My parents can’t afford to send me to college without it.”

“They’ll have to let us it again.” I said. “I’m fairly sure this classifies as a decent excuse.” She gave me a small smile before Scott and I left.

Melissa McCall POV

Melissa hung up the phone, her hands shaking. It was the Sheriff. The high school was locked down, under quarantine with everyone still in there. They didn’t know what it was yet, but Melissa had an idea. Last night Derek had brought the Mercenary Braedon into the hospital after he had found a pack of werewolves that had been poisoned.

She walked down the hallway with determination, not speaking to anyone until she found room 4.15 and walked in. Derek was sitting quietly in the room while Braedon was still unconscious. Melissa pulled out a syringe and injected the substance into the IV.

“what’s that?”

“Naloxone, we need to wake her up.” She explained to Derek.

“I thought you said she needed to rest?”

“That was before I found out the CDC put the high school under quarantine with Scott, Stiles and Anna still in there.” She stated, turned back to Derek just as Braedon jumped into a sitting position. She began to struggle, but Melissa went to calm her down. “Braedon. Braedon, look at me. You were shot, but you’re in the hospital now and you’re fine, do you understand?”

Braedon’s eyes flicked up to Derek before nodding. “Okay.” Melissa began. “Last night you were in the woods and you came across another pack. Do you know what happened to them?”

“I told you, they were poisoned.” Derek stated.

“No.” Braedon said in a weak, crackly voice. “No, they were infected. It was a virus a designed to kill werewolves… and it did… it killed them all.” She said.

Melissa’s heart pounded as she looked over to a clearly worried and on the verge of panicking Derek.

“Alright, Braedon, you need to go back to sleep. You need more rest.” Melissa stated, laying the girl back down and making her comfortable before walking out of the room with Derek right on her heels.

“What do we do?” He asked.

“You don’t do anything. Stay here, see if she knows anything else. There’s no way any of us can get into the high school. I’ll contact Deaton see what he knows.” Melissa stated before turning and leaving.

Anna POV

“Where did Scott go?” I asked Stiles noticing Scott wasn’t near us.

“Bathroom I think. Are you alright?” Stiles asked me. “You look a little pale.”

“Yeah… yeah,” My head started to spin as I fell a little and Stiles caught my arm. “I’m fine.” I whispered, a little dazed.