Chapter 20 - Bone Chilling Fear

“Scott.” My voice echoed innocently through the corridors of the school as a calmly walked down them looking for the Alpha. “You can’t hide forever, Scotty.” I could smell his scent and knew I was getting closer. His wounds by now would have healed, but the trauma would still be there, more painful than any injury. “You shouldn’t worry too much, Scotty… Liam and Stiles went fast. It was quick and relatively painless. It could have been worse. I’d say I did them a favour. Who knows what would have come after you next. Something worse than myself.” I thought this would draw him out and I was right. As I finished talking Scott appeared at the end of the corridor, 20 metres away.

“There’s nothing worse than you, Anna. Not anymore. We thought we could save you, bring you back like we always used to, but not this time. You’re too far gone.” He said in a weak voice.

“Let me guess… you have to kill me before I kill someone else.” My lips curled up in a smirk.

“Yes.” This time the weakness was gone. There was no uncertainty in his voice. “And I will. I should have sooner. As soon as we found out about Jake, but Stiles said no. He stood up for you. He thought he could bring you back, but when he tried you killed him and then Liam. I have to kill you for their sake, before you go after Kira, Lydia or Malia.”

“Oh sweetheart… What makes you think you can?” I growled the last part as my eyes started to glow and shift began. In a matter of seconds I was on all fours in the form of a vicious white wolf, snarling at my former best friend and anchor.

He too had shifted and wasted no time in charging at me, claws and fangs bared. My hind legs propelled me forward with speed I could never achieve on two legs. As Scott ran he pulled back his arm and lashed forward when I was close enough, but I dodged his attempted and went past him, spinning around and leaping before he had time to fully spin and face me himself.

My jaw latched onto him and bit down before we had even hit the ground. The blood wasn’t an unfamiliar taste in my mouth, it was how the other went. I stepped back away from his motionless body as more blood pooled around him, covering the ground and my white paws.

I stepped away from it, but it kept coming. More and more of the warm substance. With every step back I took it followed, catching up to my front. I finally turned my back and sprinted down the one of the joining corridors and out the front door.

I would have kept going, kept running, never looking back, but he stopped me. He stood in the parking lot in his usual old fashioned attire with that blank dead stare. It was as if he was looking down on me in a judging yet disappointed way. I had never held his gaze for this long before, he was never there long enough for it to happen. The man in the shadows.

But he wasn’t in the shadows anymore. He stood as clear as day in open space, just staring back at me. Until his mouth opened.

“No more.” A deep raspy voice echoed from him in a thick German accent, the words sounding like an order. I could feel the words hit me, sending a cold chill over my body that sunk through my skin and into the bone. Fear welled up inside me, but I wasn’t sure if it was because of myself or the man. Those dark eyes continued to stare me down and I wanted nothing more to look away, but I couldn’t.

Then he disappeared, but not in the blink of an eye. It was as if he glitched, like a computer screen flickering before shutting itself down.

I was alone, standing on four legs. My head dropped down to look at my front paws. Red on white.

Then the red spread, working its way up my leg as if I had been suspended upside down and the blood droplets were dripping down, but instead I stood on a flat surface.