You're The One

Justin's POV

Slowly, I began to stir from my sleep. I blinked for a moment; my eyes wondered the perimeter of the room as I gathered my senses of my surroundings. It'd become so familiar to me. I'd gotten used to the feeling of her sheets, and without looking, I knew exactly where the picture she kept of herself and her only two siblings on her nightstand. It was a far cry from my first days of spending the night in Demi's apartment. This was her sacred place. It was the one place she was safe from the scrutiny of the public eye, yet she welcomed me in. And with time, the vague feeling of unfamiliarity faded away, and I felt at home.

With a yawn, I stretched my arms high above my head before propping myself up in her bed. Demi's voice rang clearly somewhere towards the front of her apartment as she sang along to whatever song that was playing. Lazily, I kicked back the sheets and arose to my feet, already dawned in his shirt from the previous night. I sluggishly drew across the floor as I ventured down the little hallway. The sweet aromas circulating through the air led me to believe that Demi was in the kitchen. She stood at the stove, wearing only her dressing gown. Her hair, which otherwise would've fallen victim to bedhead, was pulled back into a bun, but I admired how it looked good on her. She looked up in my direction, a smile immediately replacing the concentration on her face.

"Mornin', love."

I walked up behind her, wrapping my arms around her.

"Good morning," I pressed my lips to her back, rested my head against her with my eyes shut, and exhaled slowly.

This was something I could get used to.
I loved how undoubtedly playful Demi could be, but there was something about seeing her like this, when she wasn't entirely awake, and her voice was still raspy with sleep, her thoughts often far away.

Is there anything I can help you with?" I offered.

"No, I've got it." I could feel the vibrations of her speaking.

Softly, I placed another kiss on her bare skin before removing myself from her to sit at the little table that sat in the corner of the kitchen by the window. I watched as she moved about the kitchen with ease, an amused smile on my face. Methodically, she placed the food on the plate and made sure it was perfect. She paused for a moment, placing her hands on her hips as she looked down at the dishes. Carefully, she began to balance the plates, cups and silverware in her arms. Very deep in thought, she strategically placed one foot in front of the other.

"Don't hurt yourself over there," I teased.

Demi shot me a glance and a nervous smile and continued on his little journey to the table. I held my breath, watching as she almost let the food topple over. I was close to offering my assistance, but I was afraid of what would occur if I broke her intense focus. Very carefully, she placed the plates down and joined me by taking a seat. My stomach growled right on cue, making I realized just how hungry I was. Demi laughed as a natural reaction.

"Shut up!" I laughed as I brought the fork full of pancakes and syrup up to my mouth. This time, they were brown butter pecan. I made a small, involuntary sound of approval. This had become sort of a little tradition.

Every time I found myself spending the night at Demi's, she'd make pancakes the following morning, each time a different flavour. I was convinced it was the only thing she knew how to make, but I wasn't complaining.

I glanced up at Demi to see her brown eyes focused on me. "What? Is there syrup all over my face again?" I grabbed the napkin and dabbed at my chin.

"No," She chuckled, "My family's coming to town today." I nodded along as I took a drink. I'd known for weeks that they were coming. How could I forget? Each day Justin got a bit happier, and I could easily sense her infectious excitement. "And...I want you to meet them," Demi added slowly.

Automatically, as if by a natural response, I cleared my throat.

"What?" I stared at her, mouth slightly ajar. I'd planned to give her space, to let her catch up with her family without interruption.

This was never a part of the plan.

Completely unfazed, Demi repeated herself. I looked over her face, searching for any particular chance that she was joking.

"You're serious?" A helpless smile tugged along the lines of my lips.

"Very." She sipped her tea, as if it were nothing, but even the mug could not hide her own little grin.