Illness (Part 2)

I remained seated in the waiting room with the boys for what felt like an eternity. I didn't utter a single word for the entire time because I knew if I did, I would break down again. I knew how serious brain hemorrhages were and I was absolutely terrified. I heard so much about them in the media; people having them and dying within days. I had to stop thinking like that though because it wasn't healthy and I felt like I was driving myself into insanity.

Eventually a tall, young, male doctor with dark hair walked into the waiting room. "Justin Bieber?" he called and I finally found my voice.

"Yes, that's me."

"Hello sir," he replied, giving me a small smile and extending his hand for me to shake. I shook his hand and did my best to smile back but I couldn't. "Would you like to follow me to my office so we can talk in private?" he asked and I nodded.

"Do you want me to come with you?" Zayn asked nodded again, knowing that I didn't want to be alone incase I broke down again. We both walked down a long corridor until we reached a large, well-lit room. We took a seat across a desk from him and he shuffled a stack of papers on his desk before speaking. "Okay, so as you know, your girlfriend Demi has suffered a pretty severe brain hemorrhage."

I swallowed hard before replying, "Yeah," I said quietly and he looked down at his papers before continuing to speak.

"Well, what that means is that there is excessive bleeding in her brain. We have her in an induced coma right now, you can see her but she won't be able to communicate. We have put her to sleep so that her body can focus more on healing and resting." Zayn and I both nodded and he continued to speak, "We are going to need to take her into surgery tomorrow if she is to have any chance of surviving," he said softly and I felt my stomach drop at the way he spoke about the possibility of Demi dying.

"Okay," I muttered, "What kind of surgery?" I managed to ask.

"Well, we will have to stop the bleeding in her brain by opening up her skull and operating on her brain, it is a very pricey operation...do you have insurance?"

I couldn't believe he was discussing money at this stage, Demi was close to death and he was trying to make sure he would get paid.

"Money isn't an issue," I replied bluntly and he nodded.

"Very well then Mr. Bieber, would you like to see her?" he asked and I stood up so he could lead me to her room.

"Can you go back and sit with the boys?" I asked Zayn and he nodded.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yeah, I need to be alone for this," I replied and followed the doctor down another corridor, he stopped outside a door and I looked through the glass panel to see Demi lying on a bed attached to many different monitors. I swallowed hard before pushing the door open and walking in. "Hi baby," I said, knowing she probably couldn't hear me but I didn't care. I sat down at her bedside and took her hand in mine. "Listen, I know you probably can't hear me but I need to talk to you," I said quietly as my voice shook uncontrollably. "I love you and I'm so, so scared right now. The only person who can ever make me feel better when I'm scared is you. I don't like admitting being scared to anyone apart from you." I reached up and wiped the tears away from my face. "I'm going to call your family when I leave here, I'm going to fly them all over if they can come." I swallowed hard. "I feel like my heart is breaking Demi, I'm so scared because I will never be able to love anyone else as much as I love you. I love everything about you, the way you laugh, and the way you hate it when I make fun of your accent. I love the way you cry whenever I sing to you over the phone when I'm touring. I love you." I started singing because I didn't know what else to do. I sang the last word of the chorus to All That Matters and I could have sworn I felt Demi gently squeeze my hand and I completely broke down again. I allowed myself to cry for a couple of minutes before I forced myself to stop. "I'll come and see you tomorrow babe," I whispered, "I'm going to call your family." I leaned over and pressed a kiss to her lips before walking out the room. I stopped in a secluded corridor and pulled my phone out to dial Demi's mother's number.

"Hello, Justin." she answered and I swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Hi, Dianna," I answered.

"How is everything, dear? Demi arrived this morning, didn't she? Is she with you right now?" she fired questions at me and I took a deep breath before I continued speaking.

"Dianna...something happened," I said, voice trembling.

"What's wrong? Is Demi okay?" she asked, starting to sound worried.

"She had a brain hemorrhage." I said as tears fell down my cheeks. Dianna began freaking out and asking question after question before she began to sob gently. "I want you to be here, I need your support and I know your daughter would want you to be here so I'm flying you, Eddie and Dallas out as soon as possible," I told her quietly.

"Are you sure, Justin?" she asked, sniffing slightly.

"I'm positive. I need to go now, but I'll get one of the other boys to call you with your flight details, okay?"

"Yeah, thank you Justin, I'm so glad Demi has you." she replied and I said goodbye quickly before hanging up and allowing tears to flow down my cheeks again.