Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Arthur had his back straight up and ears erected incase he might bump into anybody. Els steered him towards the dance room at the back of the drama club where the girls are practicing. From the sound of it, Arthur could tell the steps of the dance was off.

But who was he to judge when he himself danced like a clownfish having a seizure?

When both the Angora sheep and Honduran white bat entered, the rhythm of feet began to drop and there was that silence Arthur is so familiar with. Well, of course a non-member would be questioned so easily!

"Wow, Els actually brought him!" one of the members whispered excitedly.

"Look at those fingers," another added. "They're as long as his whole body!"

"Duh, they're part of his wings!"

Arthur wasn't sure whether to say something or not. But a small clap silenced the excitement of the dance students. It was Shiira, the choreography director. Arthur hardly knew anyone in the dance section of the drama club so he felt a bit intimidated.

"I'm glad Els convinced you to come," the cheetah told him. Arthur stood still, his ears wiggling a bit to gather all of the information he could muster. "The last time you played was really something."

Arthur tilted his head. "Oh yes...Hope it didn't mess up your rehearsal when I first visited the club."

Els tugged his wing gently. "No Arthur. It was amazing! So, we got some instruments and our music director, Mokichi can give you the briefing on the sounds in our club and let you try out some of the instruments. Shiira can tell you about the dance that we're practicing."

Arthur only nodded in understanding. He really doesn't know what dancing is like due to his blindness but he figured the movements and steps in the rhythm is similar to making a beat in the music. After all, what's a dance without music?

"Hey, we must make him feel welcome here," Arthur heard a soft, feminine growl. Was there a wolf in here?

"Juno's right," he heard another nodded. "Look at his ears flicking frantically. Hey, are you still there?"

"I am," said Arthur, a bit confused at the students' behaviour towards him. "Please, you can tell me how do you want the music to be played and I will do my best."

There was murmuring so Arthur folded his wings closer just as one would do when folding their arms when feeling nervous. A clawed hand gently held the two fingers of his hand-wing with utmost care. Her fur felt so soft, almost like curls compared to the bristled fur he

"It's okay. I don't think I've met you before or heard you play," the soft voice of the canine assured him. Arthur felt comfortable around her.  "Maybe you would like to demonstrate for a bit?"

Arthur lifted his head, at where the voice was and nodded. "Yes, that would be nice. By the way, are you a canine by any chance? Sorry if it sounds wrong but your voice is almost similar yet softer than Legosi's."

"Yes, I am," the voice had a small yip. "I'm a grey wolf as well like Legosi. My name is Juno."

"Arthur," the bat introduced himself with a small smile. "So, what is the instrument and song I'll be playing?"

Now there were excited murmurs as they were about to witness the bat who could see through music. They have chatted about it outside of the club but no animal would believe them. They couldn't imagine a blind animal being able to play music without having to read the sheets and only learn to play by ear.

Arthur was guided to what he felt was a smooth, wooden instrument and the seat was very comfortable. He tapped the instrument, satisfied that the wood structure was hollow in the middle. Testing the keys, he concluded that it's the same piano he had played before.

"Whenever you are ready," Shiira called out.

Arthur began to play his little tune. The dance team and the music team were stunned at how melancholic it felt. It was the polar opposite of the upbeat song he had played before. If there's a scenario to describe this tune, it would be like an arrow pierced into the heart, a feeling where one would cry but the tears won't fall, yet it is hopeful and excited about the possibilities ahead.

Almost a slow waltz.

Once Arthur was done, the team clapped for his performance, making the bat a bit embarrassed.  Needless to say, there was some sort of respect towards him but he knew not all animals will be comfortable around him so he kept his distance.

"That was sad but beautiful," said Juno. "Did you come up with that yourself?"

Arthur laughed and shook his head. "Not really. That was just a soundtrack from a movie my dad used to watch while I listened. I just enjoyed the pacing and the tune it carried. So, shall we start?"

So Arthur, under the supervision of the sound choreographer Mokichi, the European badger filled in to play the music as the dance team rehearsed. The Honduran white bat convicted himself that he doesn't know the play the drama club was doing or have the idea of imagining how the show was performed.

It was like giving him a smooth, blank paper.

He was told what kind of emotions to portray in his music and it has to tell a story. In a sense, Arthur has to build the world through what he could hear, feel, touch and his other senses while he lack sight.

...

He was glad when practice was over because he would love to brew himself a nice cup of ginger-cinnamon tea and eat crackers with Maple Mite spread on it. 

He was feeling proud of himself when he played the music but was cautious with the students around him since he hardly knew them except Legosi, Aoba and even to a certain extend, Bill.

Arthur hummed to himself, brushing off the dust from his wings in the bathroom while waiting for his tea to be ready. He himself won't understand why some animals don't prioritised grooming or make themselves look presentable.

To him, it doesn't matter what animal he surrounds himself with so long as he carried himself the way he always wanted to be.

Just then, there was a knock on the door.

"Hey Arthur!" a booming sound was heard outside of the Chiroptera dorm. The bat knew who it was but placed an empty glass at the door to listen. "You're free later tonight?"

"It depends, Bill. What brings you here?"

"Aw come on! I just wanna get to know you better!" the tiger pleaded. "I just heard from Els that you were great filling in while the system was being fixed. Shame the rest of us didn't get to hear it."

Arthur had a mental debate whether to let him it. He allowed Bill inside but he didn't let himself turn around, afraid he might get pounced and there was no way he would ever tangle himself in another situation like that!

"Please, have some tea," the bat offered. "Hope you don't mind the spices in this one."

"Hey, not at all," he could hear the loud assurance from the Bengal tiger. He assumed he might be nervous as well. The both of them drank in silence, it was a bit awkward for Arthur since he doesn't know what's Bill's intention of visiting him.

"So," Arthur broke the silence after sipping his tea. "Do you need something?"

"Oh yeah! I was wondering if you would like to hang out in town? I know a good place for a meal and let me tell you it'll save the budget in our allowance. Besides, you're done with your little grocery shopping so you should be okay."

"Bill, this is very sudden."

"Don't worry about it!" the tiger insisted. "After we're done, we can go get some ice cream. What do you say?"

Arthur was hesitant about this but he hasn't experienced the town at night. Maybe it might give him some insight.

"I'll think about it."