Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

          Terrance growled. “So you are behind this. I knew it. After all, why wouldn’t Nikolai just beat June to death to show the others she isn’t Joanne? Because you told him not to, right? Because you don’t want her harmed.”

          “Perhaps…”

          “Don’t give me that! We both know June is important to you—you’ve made it all too clear that she can’t be around me. She is important to you, Archie, you might as well admit it!”

          The voice in his head waited for a moment, then said, “It is true she holds a value to us and our associates.”

          “So you have Nikolai steal her away from me?”

          “The purpose was not to separate Miss Bailey from you,” said Mr. Evangely. “However, this is a consequence we are not mournful over. We merely told Nikolai to keep her unharmed during all that is coming.”

          “During the prophecy?”

          There was a slight pause before he answered, “Perhaps…”

          “You aren’t telling me anything, are you?” Terrance growled.

          “We see not the need to tell you, for you will merely use this information for your personal gain. We will come out short.”

          “Damn right you will! You think you can just take June away from me—you’re mistaken, Archie. I’ll get her back, even if I have to go to Hell and back!”

          The dark voice laughed. “We will be waiting for you there. We are not afraid of you, Longeway; you are merely a thorn in our side, a minor inconvenience that needs to be removed. And so we will, when our plan has gone into fruition.”

          “And the plan?”

          “Do you believe we will tell you?”

          “You’re only dodging the subject,” Terrance said, “because you know you cannot lie. Not without permission of the big boss—isn’t that how it works? You have to follow the rules too. So tell me, what is the plan? You can’t lie…”

          He waited for an answer, but Mr. Evangely kept silent.

          “Tell me!” he yelled.

          “What exactly is it that you want to know?” the Devil’s Legate asked, some sort of amusement in his voice. “The prophecy? The preparation?”

          “The plan,” Terrance hissed. “How does Nikolai fit in your plan?”