16. Proposal

It's short but I hope you like it :) 
Ring - Picture at the side  
Shadow of the Day - Perfect song for this Chapter :)  

x, Hilda 

Fan/Vote/Comment 

**************************************** 

16. Proposal
Gabrielle’s POV

“You okay?” I ask Jarred.

He’d been fidgeting for about forty full minutes now and it was actually annoying me a little. If he wanted something to hold he could have taken my hand...but he didn’t. In fact, since my family’s little ‘visit’, Jarred had been getting further and further away. It frightened me.

Of course I didn’t voice out my thoughts. He’d been so worried about his Alpha duties outside Ottawa that we’d barely had time together. Now—his baby sister’s reception—would probably be the longest he’d been with me. He kept fidgeting and looked nervous.

I put my hand over his clenching to unclenching fist and shot him a look. He stiffened at my touch and I felt a warmth build up inside me. It reminded me of the Heat but less painful...It wasn’t the painful need—no. It was more of the love I knew I felt for Jarred. I needed  him—not just for sex or whatever lust built up inside me. I quickly ripped my hand off his and felt my heart throb painfully.

 “Are you okay?” He asks, returning my question back to me.

Oh so now he was worried?! “Jarred, piss off.” I said, regretting my words as soon as I’d said them aloud. I stood up and left him sitting there, a dumfounded expression on his face. I wanted so badly to take my words back but I felt such anger. How dare he ignore me then ask me if I was alright? He was supposed to be my mate wasn’t he? What the hell was he doing practically ignoring me?

Lacey got married today, three days after my brother’s visit and they’d finally completed the Union Run. They got married in a little church called The House of Hope. Lacey looked beautiful—she looked like an angel except with a bulging stomach. I could see the happiness that radiated out of her when she and Mark were pronounced as husband and wife. I’d truly never seen anything so beautiful.

I wanted it too.

 Stepping outside the giant white tent, I reached for one of the poles, using it as support when I took off my silver heels. I didn’t want to be there anymore—it wasn’t that I didn’t like Lacey. As mates, Jarred and mines’ family should have been close but ever since my brothers’ visit I’d only had time to bond with Jarred’s mother and father. At least they liked me a little bit.

Unlike everyone else in this godforsaken wedding. Where everyone adored Corrine or Lacey I was practically ignored or looked down on. They tried not to have any eye contact with me but I suppose that it’s hard—especially because they knew who I was now. They knew about my mother being the Queen of Wolves—something that ran thick thorough blood that could never be earned. They knew my father was the most powerful Alpha, up till his death. They knew my brother is a monster. They knew my mate would slaughter them if they tried anything on me.

They knew I could slaughter them.

Everyone in that room was afraid that my brother would come and attack. They were frightened for their mates...honestly? I think it was a good that they were afraid. Being afraid was a fuel to be braver, to be stronger. They had to be at their strongest if they were to fight off my brother. Maybe that was why Jarred seemed reluctant to be with me.

 Maybe he changed his mind. I felt my wolf howl inside me, wanting her mate. As if on cue, his strong husky voice came from behind me. “Gabby?”