19. Our Last Night

Song at the side is: Naked As We Came by Iron & Wine
Dedicated to: StephanieAlicea for her Inbox :) x 

Ch. 19's Full chapter is at the 'Restricted' Section :)

Fan, Comment, Vote! Happy Holidays,  Merry Christmas! :)

************** 

19. Our Last Night

Gabrielle’s POV 

As soon as I made my mind up, I wanted to take back everything I said. I wanted to take back the fact that I would give Jarred up to save the wolves. I wanted to give up the fact that I was going to sacrifice myself and lose my mate. It was a selfless call but it needed to be done but there was a part of me that hated myself, there was a part of me that I wished was selfless enough to just beg Jarred to run away and be with me forever.

Forever was a hell of a long time but I needed Jarred. I loved—love—Jarred. And after tonight I would lose him forever.

 After I left Jarred’s fathers’ office I was in a hurry. I needed to prepare a night for Jarred—a night to tell him I love him, a night to tell him that if we were meant to be, we would be. If we were soulmates, we’d find each other again...maybe not in this life but the next. I needed to show him I love him enough to let him go—love him enough to let him know to move on and be the Alpha I know he could be without me.

He needed to live when I was gone or I would never be able to bear living.

My plan was simple—have Jarred for one last night and march up to the boundaries where I know the rogue wolves are currently waiting for my arrival. I would go there and make them leave—using all the power I could and I know they’d listen, if not for my power then to respect me. I knew they would because rogue or not, their blood loyalties would lie to me—their princess.

“Gabrielle?” chimed a sweet voice. I turned and found Mitchell, his hair sticking everywhere, blue eyes sparkling with innocence. “Why are you crying?”

I strode over to him, kneeling before him and offering him a wide smile. I couldn’t help the tears the fell down my face—call me weak but I couldn’t exactly stop the sadness that came out of my wolf. She was already mourning for her mate. She—as well as I—felt the same about our situation. She wanted to be selfish and just run away with him too but she knew to save him—as well as the rest of the wolves—she knew we had to leave and convince our brother to leave.

Not that Jacob would.

As children, I always knew Jarred was different...he was always the one who wished for more power. Our mother favoured him above all and always used to prove to us how worthless we were as daughters. Stephenie and I always let it go because there was really no point in preventing our mothers’ thoughts. By the age of eight I already knew my mother wasn’t right in the head. She filled Jacob’s own mind with thoughts of power and it only made him want more. By the time our father saw what Jacob was becoming it was too late. He wanted to be Alpha and he wanted a strong mate for a Luna. By the time he killed our father power was the only thing in his mind—that and taking me for a mate. I was only glad that I got the worst of it and I was glad that Stephenie was now mated. She would be sad, unhappy for a while but her mate would help her.

 But who would help ours? My wolf cried. Inside I was literally breaking into a million pieces. I needed to be happy tonight and that was what I’d been telling myself for the past four hours. In order to do this right I needed to make the  most of tonight and I promised myself—for Jarred—I would do anything. “Mitch, can you promise me something?” I ask, giving him a smile as he wiped my tears out of my face.

“Anything.” He smiled sweetly. In his smile I could see Jarreds’ and couldn’t help but feel more heartbreak. This would be tougher than I first thought.