Chapter 14

Atifa's pov :

The morning sun shone, bringing a few beams of rays in the room and onto my face. Groaning, I covered my face with the comforter and snuggled to sleep more for some time.

As today is ammi's holiday, and even she will be sleeping in till late after fajr, I don't have to make breakfast early in the morning. So no, I don't plan on waking up so soon too. I still feel tired and if it would be up to me, I would sleep in whole day today. A content sigh escaped my lips as I slipped back into my peaceful slumber.

It was the giggling of the kids and the sweet aroma of the pancakes which welcomed me when I woke up again. This time, due to the continues clatter of the pots and chatter of the kids.

Rubbing my eyes, I sat up, squinting at the sun rays peeking in my room through the folds of the curtains, trying to recall if I asked ammi to make breakfast today.

Yawning, I picked up my mobile to check the time. It was 9:30 a.m. A frown adorned my face, it is strange that Amira didn't come to wake me up today. I turned to see that Emaan was still snuggled up and sleeping comfortably by my side.

I shook her. "Wake up Emaan. It's 9:30." I murmured as I started snuggling back, feeling sleepy. Maybe I can sleep some more. If I'm lucky enough.

She sat up straight abruptly when she heard me, forgetting her sleepiness. "What happened?" I asked her with a frown sleepily already slipping back to sleep.

"Ya Allah, is it really 9:30 right now?!" She exclaimed as she picked up her mobile hastily to check the time. "God! And you are waking me up now. And why are you snuggling back in to sleep?" She asked me with a frown as she tried to snatch my comforter away from me.

"Yeah, why?" I asked her, already half asleep. "And let me sleep for a while more. Even you can sleep if you want." I added as I closed my eyes.

"You are asking me why? WHY? Ya Allah, did you forget it's your nikkah today?" She exclaimed while looking at me in disbelief.

At the words 'your nikkah' my eyes shot open and I looked at her shocked. I won't admit it to her, but I really did forget about it for a while. My eyes darted to my henna clad hands as I recalled yesterday's events. So that's why ammi is making breakfast today?

"Ya Allah girl, go and freshen up!" Emaan whined as she pushed me out of the bed. I was still lost in my thoughts when she pushed me, making me tumble down and fall on my side.

A groan escaped my lips as I glared at her. "Okay, I'm going. Now don't start abusing me. It's my nikkah today and I will complain about you to ammi." Unknowingly, I pouted making her chuckle as she shook her head.

"I won't if you hurry up." She said while getting off the bed and attempting to make a messy bun but failing miserably. She groaned letting her hands fall to her sides.

I laughed while standing up and folding the comforter. "When will you finally learn that?" I asked her, referring to her failed attempt.

"Soon." Glaring at me, she muttered angrily before adding, "Now go freshen up!"

"Oh yes you guys can freshen up but don't shower now!" We heard ammi's voice as she entered the room with a table trolly.

Okay, so we will have breakfast here in my room? I frowned in confusion. "Assalamualikum ammi, why did you bring our breakfast here? We could have come down ourselves." I asked, taking the trolly from her and wheeling it in.

"Oh yes, I know that you guys would have joined us downstairs, but don't you remember the rule? The bride and the groom can't see each other until the nikkah. And also, this is your last food as a single lady, after this you will be a married woman that's why I wanted to have it with you both upstairs." Ammi replied as she sat on the bed and pulled the trolly.