Chapter 8

REEVES RAN UP THE STAIRS, he was walking among the just released White Intersexuals from their cells — they were in jubilation on the 'driveway' area of every tier of C-Block.

He found Joe standing alone with two black eyes. The Wesleyan reeled back, when Reeves approached him holding a pistol...

Joe had not seen Reeves since he was admitted in the infirmary after he was beaten-up — for gossip-mongering among the Wesleyans. For a split moment, Joe thought he had come to whack him — he froze and was staring at his gun coming closer, by his approaching looming steps...

Reeves spoke up to him...

"Hey Joe, have you seen Troy?"

"No..."

The red headed boy responded gingerly, his eyes were still locked on the pistol that Reeves held. They both then saw Kiki-boy and Hank appear running towards them. Kiki spoke first in allure of the armed Reeves...

"Hey Reeves, dude — you got a gun! Have you shot any of those bitches out there?"

"No." Reeves replied flatly.

Even though he had just shot to wound a female sergeant in the control room earlier in self-defense to disarm her — but, he lied to not to be swank about it — as how these rumor-mongers would love to hear some inflated stories.

"Where are our guns, we wanna fight too?"

Hank tittup and Reeves nodded back with some tolerance — even-though their presence nettled him...

"The Preacher is getting them for you all — I got to go find Troy."

"Whoo-hoo! Can you believe that, I am finally gonna get a gun, man," Kiki bragged aloud. Joe just ignored him, and he turned to Reeves...

"Reeves, what are the Preacher's plans — what do we do now?"

"I really don't know. The guards in the watchtower are shooting to kill. Just stay put in here — and don't leave the block."

Reeves could not locate Troy on that tier so he started running down the stairs — and Joe followed him — calling out his name...

Reeves realized that Joe had trailed after him. The portly Intersexual walked along his side, he then mettled with his guilt before he spoke haphazardly...

"Sorry man, it's my fault and I know I said those stupid things without thinking to those guys — I really screwed that up, Reeves — and even back at the wall in the University, I screwed that one too...

"You don't deserve to be here in prison with the rest of us Wesleyans, because you could have done it all alone out there, in finding your mother — you didn't need me that day at that wall too — and you could have left all alone because you had a good plan, man — but I slowed you down, and I screwed that one up too..."

Reeves was attentive to his spate of random slapdash sentences before he went to tap him to stop...

"Come Joe, you did not screw up anything, okay?"

But Joe intervened back again...

"You never say it — but deep inside, you know it that I fucked it all up — I felt so real shitty — and that is why I stayed away from you all these while here in Tombscradle."

The mentally distraught Joe was almost in lachrymose tears when he said that...

Their friendship had strained since they became inmates inside the prison walls — even though, they still bumped together occasionally in the big-yard — but it was hardly on a one-on-one just like the Wesleyan days.