Chapter 15

A GIGANTIC SCREEN IN TIMES SQUARE replayed the inauguration of Madeline Cory as the second elected female president of the United States. The googol of outdoor party-spirited revellers outbursts aloud while gazing to the prismatic fireworks that lighted up the night firmament, as her godlike voice was amplified on the gigantic outdoor TV screens in New York...

"I, MADELINE CORY DO SOLEMNLY SWEAR THAT I WILL FAITHFULLY EXECUTE THE OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES AND WILL DO THE BEST OF MY ABILITY — TO PRESERVE, PROTECT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES — SO HELP ME GOD."

Sonia Petrov watched the street celebration from afar, after Anne Rosewood's defeat in retaining her presidency — it was too late now, as there was no future and hope to the 'Three Kings Project' — with the last three scientists of the surviving progenitor males who remained alive, and were still finding an epidemiological cure to the Medusa Virus, after failing for more than a decade.

She was now desperate to find her son and take him along with her — following her only cardinal option at hand at the moment, which was to flee the country.

*

Cory supporters everywhere celebrated in streets and also, indoors like in various larger capital-cities, and so was it in the city of Columbus, Ohio — one such place was Larrie's Bar, where cops hung out after duty — tonight, Cory posters festooned all around the taproom. Over fifty policewomen were cheering aloud while beer mugs were clinking to Cory's inauguration repeated on a television set. Sergeant Roberta Jensen and Wanda Callahan were among the merrymakers.

There had been lots of promised goodies coming into the Columbus PD that were granted by this newly elected president — and tonight, everyone was buying.

*

Many hours later, Larrie's Bar was quieter, Roberta was drinking tequila shots on a table alone, and she chain-smoked, while a few of her butch police friends were at the pool table.

Someone was observing Roberta from outside the bar window, in the less bustling street at that hour. Roberta soon passed out drunk with her face on the table, knocking down the empty bottle. There was laughter from behind...

"Mayday-Mayday — Rob is down!"

Roberta's eyes were closing but, her mind-eye had just prevued a shady glimpse of someone outside the bar's window — it was the same pale face from the dumpster at Lincoln street, where she once had bled and passed out, lying on the tarmac — it was the similar visual memory of her glancing at the albescent vestige of someone that she was 'seeing' now — who had once pulled the trigger twice when she shot her pimp dead...

The front door of the bar opened at closing time — her two butch friends in uniform shouldered the drunken Roberta out to a nearby car, while they were laughing out aloud.

The hidden albino girl was watching them driving off...

... before she hailed a cab.