30.

"So...it's a potion?"

"Yes."

"That sounds simple enough."

"Trust me, Miss Iverson, it is not."

Maeve sat opposite Professor Dumbledore in his office, fiddling with her fingers in her lap. A potion did sound pretty simple and she was good at potions anyway, she had assumed it would be more difficult than that.

"This is such an immensely complicated potion to make, there are almost no books that contain it. Fortunately, I have an alchemist friend, Mr Flamel, who is very experienced in this branch of potion making, and agreed to give me the instructions," Dumbledore said.

He pulled out a folded piece of parchment from his pocket, and handed it to her.

"That is the method there, but if I remember correctly, these are the main rules about the potion: it has to take exactly 10 months to produce, the final spells have to be performed by you with wandless magic otherwise some components in your wand could interfere, and finally it is vital that the potion is made by you - can be touched by absolutely no one else."

"Wandless magic? But, sir, I have no experience with wandless magic," Maeve looked at him, confused.

"Well then, my dear, you shall have to learn it," He told her dismissively, turning to his phoenix beside him and stroking him.

"Okay," She breathed out nervously, "Sir, are you sure this will work?"

"I trust it will, yes, but it has not been done many a time before, so we will have to see," He said, before turning back to her, his eyes twinkling almost as if he was excited, "Miss Iverson, you do realise this method has to be executed flawlessly otherwise the potion is useless, yes?"

"Yes, sir, I'm nervous about it - of course - but I am confident in my abilities," She said.

"Good," He said, "Now, take that back to your dormitory and study it, draft out a little calendar or schedule if you must. Use this time to prepare; we start next monday."

"Okay. Thank you, sir," She nodded, getting up to leave, but then stopped, "Also, Professor I know you said not to but-"

"I am aware that you told Mr Lupin, do not fret, I feel it was right to tell him," The Professor said kindly.

"Thank you, Sir, it was just...I was wondering if he could help me? I know I have to do it myself, but he's really smart and amazing at potions and I think I would benefit," She said quickly, looking down to avoid him seeing how pink her cheeks had got.

"If you believe you would benefit, then do what you must, but remember now: this must remain confidential," He said, looking at her sternly now, "It would be very dangerous if the wrong person learnt you were doing this."

"I know, I will be careful. Thank you, sir," She said.

"You're welcome, Miss Iverson," He nodded, "You are dismissed, I shall see you on Monday."

She smiled and gave him a nod before leaving his office.

When she got back to her dorm room she opened the parchment, and realised how big it was, it had just been folded up many times.

Her eyes widened when she read through the instructions, and she was suddenly regretting telling the Professor that she was confident she would be successful. This method was beyond complicated, far more complicated than any other potion she had seen before.

The parchment read:

ingredients: