18.

"Honestly that was so easy," Cissa grinned, "I'm so relieved."

"Um, were we taking the same test?" Liz asked.

Some of the Slytherins were hanging out in the hallway after their penultimate OWL exam. They were pretty exhaused, and most of them just wanted to sleep right there and then.

"Yeah Cissa, are you sure you had the OWL defense against the dark arts paper and not a first year charms paper?" Maeve laughed.

"It was so hard," Barty nodded, massaging his forehead.

"Just because I revised and you guys didn't," Cissa shrugged.

"I demand you retract that statement, I did so much revision, I even did more than just borrow books from the library this time! I actually read some!" Liz joked.

"The fuck is that sound?" Barty asked.

"What, Liz talking? Don't worry, you get used to it," Maeve said, earning herself a sharp elbow in the ribs from Liz.

"How'd the exam go, Snivelly?" They heard in the distance.

Maeve cursed and dashed off to the direction of sound. Just by hearing it, she knew exactly what was happening.

James Potter.

The Slytherins, led by the blonde, stormed the courtyard. Maeve swallowed nervously when she saw what was happening: Severus was being held up in the air by Potter, who was laughing with his friends.

His friends. His friends including Remus. She saw how, although he was weakly trying to stop them, he couldn't hold back his amused smile at the situation before him.

He was sitting on the floor under a nearby tree with Pettigrew, a book in front of him. He was being a dickhead, just letting his friends get away with it. Dammit Maeve, why do you always have to fall in love with the dickheads?

"You – wait," Severus panted, staring up at Potter with an expression of purest loathing, "you – wait!"

"Wait for what?" said Black coolly. "What're you going to do, Snivelly, wipe your nose on us?"

Snape let out a stream of mixed swear words and hexes, but with his wand ten feet away nothing happened.

"Wash out your mouth," said Potter coldly. "Scourgify!"

Pink soap bubbles streamed from Snape's mouth at once; the froth was covering his lips, making him gag, choking him –

"Potter-" Maeve raised her wand but was interrupted by a fiery red-head storming past her.

"Leave him ALONE!"

"All right, Evans?" said Potter, and the tone of his voice was suddenly pleasant, deeper, more mature.

Gross.

"Leave him alone," The ginger repeated. She was looking at Potter with every sign of great dislike, "What's he done to you?"

"Well," said James, appearing to deliberate the point, "it's more the fact that he exists, if you know what I mean ..."

Many of the surrounding students laughed,
Black and Pettigrew included, but Remus, still apparently intent on his book, didn't, and nor did Lily.

Well at least he didn't laugh, Maeve thought.

"You think you're funny," Evans said coldly. "But you're just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter. Leave him alone."