Chapter 10: For the Cameras

Start from the beginning

"Yeah sure, I can do that. What time?" Chase said into the phone. I rolled my eyes mentally knowing he was going to go with his new ' friend.' "I can now, but no later than 7, I'm taking Ava out."

He hung up the phone and got off the bed, slipping his shoes on quickly. "What'd she want?" I asked with an annoyed tone. I tried to mask it okay? But it's hard when you absolutely despise someone.

"She said she needed me and the boys for some pictures for her sorority. Is that cool?" Chase asked almost out the door, barely even letting me decide whether I should throw a fit or not.

"Um, sure. Are we still hanging out tonight?" I asked, a gleamer of hope on my face.

Chase leaned in to kiss my forehead, "Of course, be ready by 6:45 though. I want an extra fifteen minutes looking at your beautiful face." 

I laughed and playfully rolled my eyes, "You're such a smooth talker, you know that? But, I will definitely be ready by 6:30 instead." I playfully winked at him, before he kissed me one last time and headed out the door.

As embarrassing as it sounds, It felt like I might be in a triple relationship with Cartia and Chase. I just hated that he was blind to her antics and her advances. Just the fact that I could almost always see Mateo's advances and dodged them, why couldn't he do that with her? Was it the power she held, or was it her beauty he was tricked into seeing? Whatever it was, it didn't settle with me even though I told myself many times she had nothing on me. Could you blame me for being so insecure?

I checked my phone for the time and saw it was only 3 o'clock. Good thing classes ended for today, and I had some downtime to just chill. I know I'd need a nap to busy myself from all of this over thinking. 

***

It was 6:50 and Chase was yet to arrive. I sat on my bed in front of the mirror and immediately regretted my outfit choice. I was wearing the basic oversized shirt and denim shorts with my white sneakers. I don't know why my brain kept thinking if Cartia right now was wearing her infamous pink dress, and if she was wearing heels or if she had pretended to get cold and was wearing Chase's hoodie. My skin boiled at the thought.

I decided to apply some light makeup, and maybe one of Arabella's glosses hoping to amp up my look. I glanced at the clock once more and saw it was already past 7. My fingers ached to call Chase and see where in the world he was, but he had read my mind and was ringing me. Hopefully, he was caught in the LA traffic. 

"Hello?" I answered too quickly.

"Baby! Please don't be upset with me..." Chase led off.

I cut him off already knowing the aftermath of this conversation, "You can't make it?"

"I'm so sorry, Cartia's shoot got a little pro-longed and we're barely getting ours taken."

"I- you're taking pictures together?" I stuttered, feeling my heart drop. "Chase, you promised."

"I know and that's why I feel like such a dick, the schedule got pushed back if I wasn't halfway done I'd leave but you know how I like to finish what I start. " He finished saying. I heard Cartia's voice whining for him to hurry and finish the conversation. 

"Oh," 

"I would leave if this wasn't important you know that right?" I could hear the sincerity in his voice, which made me feel a little guilty for getting upset.