Chapter Ninety-Eight

A/N: GUESS WHO GOT A NEW LAPTOP ADDUJKCDJK

my dad really be pulling through with these graduation gifts i love him so much :,) even though i didn't get to go to my graduations, he made it better <3

sorry this chapter is a couple hours late ahjssk i totally forgot to update and i was busy registering my brother for school lol

anywayyyy, so this chapter is also kinda short. a lil bit of a filler ig. but emotional as always!

also!! two more chapters to 100!! you have no idea how excited i am for that eeee!!

————————————————————

"He's here."

————————————————————

12:48 AM

"Hello?"

"Pepper," Happy said, relieved she had answered the phone. He was already in the car, on his way. "I just got a call from Tony."

"Is everything okay?"

"No," Happy swallowed. He was breaking out in sweat. He had never been this anxious before. He tried to put his attention on the road. "N-No everything is not okay. Get to the safe house. It's...It's Adelaide."

There was a pause.

"I'm on my way," the woman said and then hung up.

Happy pressed down harder on the gas pedal, trying to go faster. But even in these late hours of the night, Manhattan traffic was ruthless. He honked at the car in front of him as if it would do anything to make it move. His heart was thundering in his chest.

"Come on, move it!" he grumbled.

Ever since he had gotten the call from Tony, his heart had been beating faster. His mind was swirling with anxious thoughts about what could have happened to Adelaide. All Tony had said was she was hurt. Happy hoped that it was just a cut or something easily fixable. However, deep down, he knew that Tony had sounded too worried for that to be true.

"Move!" Happy uselessly shouted at the car in front of him, honking again.

There was no use. There was no moving fast through this kind of traffic. He hit the steering wheel, falling back into his seat. He was frustrated and there was nothing he could do about it.

"Incoming call," the car announced. Happy glanced down at his phone which was lighting up with an unknown number. He realized he had several missed calls from this number and a handful of messages.

Happy it's Peter
Please please please
call me back
It's urgent
I need your help
Please
My friend Adelaide
is in trouble and
I need your help
Happy
Please
Call me back as
soon as you see this

Happy furrowed his eyebrows. He didn't understand how the kid knew Adelaide was in trouble or where he had disappeared to after he crashed the plane, but he could tell from the forty-five missed calls on his phone that he was worried. So Happy answered the incoming call.

"Hello?" he said.

There was a pause on the other end of the line.

"Happy?" the kid breathed, "You picked up. Oh my god you pick– I've been calling you for so long I just– I need your help. M-My friend ran away and I-I can't find her a-and I need– I need your help a-and—"