Chapter Thirty-Four

A/N: HAPPY NEW YEARS! It's not new years where I live yet, but I decided to clear my entire schedule to finish this chapter just so I could give you guys a little new years present! As a bonus, this chapter is a little longer than usual and it's like the big finale. It's everything I've been leading up to but it's super duper sad and depressing so just beware.

Anyway, I'm not really going to talk about what's in the chapter just because it's so long and literally so much happens I wouldn't even know where to start. But I will refresh your memory on the last chapter. In the previous chapter, all the files vanished (*gasp*) and Peter got into a fight with Flash (it was 100% Flash's fault if you ask me) and Adie flushed the flash drive into the toilet. Oh and she made Ned promise to stop searching.

————————————————————
"Remember:

with great power

comes great responsibility."
————————————————————

Peter sighed, pushing open the door to his house and walking inside. He rubbed his jaw, feeling a small bruise coming on. He had hoped that he wouldn't have any obvious marks on his face from the fight, but his jaw told him that wasn't the case. Luckily, he came home on the bus today which meant he still had the chance to escape to his room and figure out some kind of excuse before Ben and May caught him.

"Peter?" May said, walking into the room with Ben right behind her. Peter sighed. Maybe he wouldn't have time to escape to his room. May walked up to him, a bright smile on her face which immediately faded away the moment she saw Peter's bruise jaw.

"What happened to your face?" May asked, cupping her nephew's face into her small hands. She lightly ran her thumb over the bruise on the jaw, her face twisted into a worried expression. Peter glanced at Uncle Ben who was watching him with a look that the teenager couldn't understand.

"I..."

"Did you fall down the stairs again, Pete?" Ben asked, a hint of a smile on his face, "You've got to start watching your step, champ."

Peter blinked at him and then looked at May who still look very worried.

"Er...yeah, that's what happened," Peter said, "I fell...down the stairs."

"Goodness Peter! You've got to start being more careful!" May said. Peter gave her a small smile.

"Sorry, Aunt May. It won't happen again," he said. She still looked worried as she shook her head.

"I'll go get you some painkillers. Stay right here, okay?" she said and then hurried back into the kitchen. Peter watched her until he felt Ben's gaze on him.

"Does it hurt a lot?" Ben asked, eyeing the bruise. Peter shook his head quickly.

"No, um, I just tripped on the last couple of steps and –"

"Did you win?" Ben interrupted. Peter stopped, looking at him.

"Um, what?"

Ben smiled knowingly, leaning against the couch and crossing his arms. He nodded his head towards the teenager's injury.

"Did you win the fight?" Ben elaborated. Peter shook his head in confusion. He thought Ben believed he had fallen down the stairs.

"I wasn't in a fight," Peter lied and Ben chuckled.

"Come on, Pete. I know a right hook when I see one," Ben said, "So did you win?"

Peter felt his face heating up from getting caught. He could never get much past Uncle Ben anyway. Peter sighed, clearing his throat as he looked down at the floor.