Chapter Fifty-Seven

A/N: I'VE BEEN SO BUSY I TOTALLY FORGOT TO UPDATE and you guys didn't even remind me smh. Just kidding lol but seriously there's so much happening everyday I am going to lose my motherfreaking mind.

Also, thank you to @-happybee- for making such an amazing cover!! I mean look at it, it's gorgeous!!

————————————————————

"Tony, I need to tell you something..."

————————————————————

The room was void of light.

And Adelaide was crying.

Her hands were pressed together behind her back. Her ankles were painfully digging into the leg of the chair she was sitting on. Her heart was beating in her throat and she felt like throwing up.

"Ah, you're finally awake," Lukov said. His voice wasn't coming from this room. "Hope you remembered everything well."

She bit her tongue until the taste of blood filled her mouth.

"Well?" said his voice, "Aren't you going to say anything?"

She spat the blood out of her mouth, feeling her stomach churn at the sound of his voice. Her skin was crawling, burning, scorching. She felt disgusted even by the way her arms were touching her body. She wanted to run as far away from herself as she could.

Air.

She needed air.

Why couldn't she breathe? Adelaide felt something coming up. Vomit. She hunched over, hurling onto the floor. A fit of coughs took over. There was nothing left in her stomach, but she couldn't stop gagging. She tasted bile in her mouth, eating away at the layer of protection around her teeth. Her muscles were shaking from exhaustion.

She could barely process what was happening.

The voices were spinning around in her head, taunting her. The memories kept flashing behind her eyes.

Her memories. Everything. She remembered everything now.

Happy birthday dear Adelaide...

They want you, darling. They know that you're very special and they're jealous.

The girl comes with me.

Adelaide, I need you to kill this man.

Give me the money and I'll let your son go.

You're...fucking...sick.

Howard!

You have been asleep for 22 years, Adelaide.

Avengers eradication.

He took her memories. He made her do inhumane things. Treated her like a brainwashed slave.

He had turned her into a monster.

"It looks like you remember your parents now," he said and she wished she could have thrown up on his face, "An unavoidable mishap but nothing that I can't fix again."

She could barely hear what he was saying over the pounding blood in her ears. This couldn't be real. This wasn't happening. Not to her.

"You will soon realize that no one is really there for you except for me. But, right now, I'm going to let you go, Adelaide," he said, surprising her.