Chapter Fifty-Six: Adelaide's Memories

A/N: I lied. It's 12,000 words.

I feel like I'm about to reveal classified government information...Okay, I won't say much other than this chapter is why I started writing this story and I put a lot of time behind it so I hope you like it.

Also, please listen to this song while reading, it really pairs well. There's no lyrics, it's just piano.

God, I'm so nervous...

—————

AUGUST 21, 1982

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Adelaide, happy birthday to you! Blow out the candles, Dellie!"

Adelaide took a deep breath, giddy with excitement, and blew out the four candles in front of her. Henry and Ava began clapping and Adelaide laughed along with them. Ava cut out a small slice of cake but Adelaide took ahold of the spoon before her mother could.

"I wanna do it, momma! Let me!" she said and Ava laughed, handing the spoon to her daughter.

"Alright, alright, you do it," Ava smiled. Jumping with excitement, Adelaide took a spoonful of her cake.

"Who are you going to give it to first, pumpkin?" Henry asked, silently pointing to himself. Adelaide giggled, covering her mouth.

"No, it should be me. Right, Dellie?" Ava asked, crouching down to come to eye level with her daughter.

"No, no, it's me. C'mon pumpkin," Henry said, opening his mouth, "Ahhh."

"Momma's hungry, Dellie," Ava sang, opening her mouth and Adelaide couldn't stop laughing as she looked at both her parents crouching down on either side of her with their mouths open for cake.

Finally, she made a decision and ate the spoonful of cake herself.

"Traitor!" Henry said, pulling his daughter into his arms to tickle her. Adelaide laughed uncontrollably, squirming in her father's hold. Ava stood up, taking this as a chance to disappear into their bedroom.

"That tickles!" she laughed, feeling her cheeks beginning to hurt from the laughter, "Daddy, that tickles!"

"Alright Henry, I think she's been punished enough," Ava smiled, entering the room again with a pink package in her hand. Adelaide's little blue eyes widened at the gift-wrapped package in her mother's hands.

"You got me a present!" Adelaide shouted, running to her mother.

"Happy fourth birthday, Adelaide," Ava said, smiling softly as she handed her daughter the present.

"Open it, pumpkin," Henry said, appearing behind her but his daughter was already tearing open the wrapping paper with her small hands. Inside, was a beautiful, big, brown teddy bear.

"A teddy bear!" Adelaide gasped, holding it in her hands as if it was made of a delicate gold. It was her first birthday present. Her very first present.

"I love him, I love him!" Adelaide shrieked, jumping up and down while hugging her present to her chest. She stopped for long enough to pull both her parents into a hug. And then she pulled away, running to the bedroom with her new toy.

"I'm gonna call you...Maxwell," they heard their daughter say and they both gave each other a smile.

As long as their little Dellie was happy, everything was going to be okay...everything was going to be okay.