Chapter Fifty-Five

A/N: IT'S ALMOST HERE IT'S ALMOST HERE THE BIG REVEAL IS ALMOST HEREEEEEE

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

"To give you your memories back."

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

VIENNA
NIGHT BEFORE UNITED NATIONS CONFERENCE

Adelaide was back at the broken building where Peter had almost killed a man. She was standing in the same place she had been that night. She looked down at her hands, which were covered in blood. Uncle Ben's blood.

"Did you give my uncle another chance!" Peter shouted, making her look up.

He had the man by the throat but it wasn't the same man from that night. It was Graves. And Peter was about to kill him. Adelaide found herself surprised that she wanted Peter to kill him.

However, just as she had suspected, Graves became invisible and slipped away from Peter's grasp.

But she was forced to watch as the man with the eyepatch who was still visible to her grab the gun off of the floor. Horrified, she watched as he aimed it at the back of Peter's head.

Peter was paying for her mistakes. And there was nothing she could do to stop it.

Graves pulled the trigger and Peter fell over, blood oozing out from his head. A strangled scream escaped her throat as she fell to her knees. She couldn't even reach out and hold him.

Her demons had finally caught up to her and they had gotten Peter.

She had lost him.

Adelaide sat up, drenched in sweat. She swallowed, trying to ease the burn in her throat. She was safe. She was in a hotel room and Natasha was sleeping in the room right beside hers. It was okay. She let out a shaky breath before standing up to get some water. As she was walking towards the kitchen, she glanced at her phone.

Maybe she should try to call him again. Would it go to voicemail? She decided to call him just to calm herself down. He was okay. She was just overreacting. It had only been a nightmare. He was fine.

"Adelaide?" someone said, picking up the phone. It sounded like May. And she sounded absolutely terrified.

"May?" she said, her heartbeat picking up,"What's wrong? Are you okay?"

"I-It's Peter," she cried, "A man came in a few minutes ago. H-He was wearing an eyepatch. A-And he h-had a gun. He sh-shot him, Adelaide. He shot Peter. I-In the b-back of h-his head."

No.

No.

No, this wasn't happening. This couldn't be happening. Not to her. Not to Peter.

No no no no no. Peter. She had lost Peter. Was this really happening? She couldn't have lost Peter. Not him. No. No way.

"Th-The man said he was g-getting even with-with...you. He killed Peter," May whispered.

He killed Peter.

Adelaide woke up with a loud gasp. Her breathing quickened until she was fully panicking. Her ears were ringing and she pressed her hands against them, trying to stop it. A scream died in her throat as her eyes pricked with tears.