Our Darkened Hearts

Black clouds roiled over Cass's head.

"Cassandra! This is all your fault!", Rapunzel yelled.

Cass backed up, "No I'm sorry, I didn't mean to!"

"You've destroyed everything! Eugene is dead, my mother is dead, and innocent people lay dead!! All because of you!!!"

As Rapunzel said the names, the people who had been killed showed up, their wounds showing as blood covered their faces and ragged clothes.

They surrounded Cass slowly, their faces in pain and sorrow.

They let out pitiful moans while some whispered in a chant,

"Cursed spawn of demon,

"Deserves to burn in Hell,

"Wretched cold betrayer

"With blood on her hands."

Cass covered her ears.

"Varian is insane because of you!!! You've ruined everything!!!", Rapunzel yelled as Cass winced.

Screams echoed through her ears as she heard the rhythmic chant no matter how hard she tried.

"Cassie... how could you??", Varian asked in a whisper.

Cass gasped and whirled around to see Varian behind her, his face bent and his hair hiding his face.

"No I didn't mean to.... I swear I never wanted any of this!!!", Cass screamed shaking.

"You made me this way CASSIE.", Varian said looking up a crazy glint in his eye, "YOU PUT THIS CURSE ON ME."

"And now I'm gone too Cassandra, just like you've always wanted.", Rapunzel said as fresh bright blood came out of her wound.

Queen Arianna joined Rapunzel, her face completely destroyed by the expolision that killed her.

"Cursed spawn of demon,"

Cass shook her head, "I never wanted you to die Raps!!! I-I'm so sorry!!!", she wailed falling to her knees.

"Deserves to burn in Hell,"

It was terrifying.

All the corpses surrounded her as Varian watched.

"Wretched cold betrayer

"With blood on her hands."

Then the world went black as he grew a rock ready to impale her face.

"Agghhhhhh!!!", Cass gasped sitting up violently.

Her heart raced and beat loudly as she looked around the room and saw herself sitting on a bed.

That dream...

No.

Not dream.

Nightmare.

She sat up the rest of the way as she heard an actual scream and an explosion that shook the door of the bedroom.

What was happening?!?

Cass jumped up and ran out of the room, heart already sinking as black rocks stuck out of the broken burnt halls.

More yells and shouts filled the air as she picked up the pace quicker.

She rushed into the throne room and gasped.

There.

She watched as guards pulled out their swords, fighting against their enemy.

An enemy that had no chance against.

Varian.

She watched as he easily deflected their blows, him almost looking bored as he stabbed them through with his rocks.

Varian was murdering as easily as he breathed.

Horror filled Cass's mind as she stared at the throne room.

Rocks grew everywhere, and a throne of black rocks stood on the platform as more rocks blocked the windows and filtered in cold grey light.

Ripped banners hung limply and wreckage of wood and metal lay on the floor along with the scarlet pools and splatters of blood.

She felt her chest construct as she felt herself get sucked into the past.

Her past.

She had taken over this throne room too with the power of the moonstone...

Bad memories flooded through her as she tried to will herself to move.

Suddenly strong warm hands grabbed her, pulling her away from the throne room.

She was about to yell as she saw Catalina and Kiera's scared faces.

"It's just me.", Lance whispered pulling her along the hallway.

"Red? Angry? What are you doing here?!", Cass whispered as Lance finally released her.

"Are you okay?", Catalina asked waving aside her question, "You look traumatized."

"Like you aren't?", Kiera commented looking at her bright orange haired sister.

"Of course I'm traumatized! Varian has...", she broke off as Cass paled even more.

Cass swallowed, "He's... he's killed people. Killed them without a second thought."

Monster.

Varian had become one.

There was no doubt.

And it was all HER FAULT.

"I-I have to talk to him!! I need to get through to him t-that this isn't right!! He's just-!"

Lance grabbed her as she stopped and tried to pull away.

"No I need to talk to him Lance!! Let go!", she yelled.

Kiera and Catalina ran over and helped pull her away.

"This is for your own good Cassandra... it's to late.", Catalina murmured her eyes teary.

"It's never to late!! I can't be!!"

Kiera pinched her arm, getting Cass's attention.

"King Frederick is dead!! Varian murdered him!! Quirin himself had to make a break for it or Varian would've killed him too!!", she yelled angrily, "You can't do anything for him any more."

Cass stopped pulling and stared at Kiera.

Kiera stared back at her fiercely but tears came to her eyes too.

"You can't do anything for him.", Kiera repeated she then sniffed and brushed away her tears roughly with her sleeve.

Catalina went over to her and the sisters talked in soft whispers trying to comfort one another.

Cass looked at Lance as they heard Varian's cruel laugh of amusement from the throne room.

"Did... did he really k-?"

Lance nodded, "Right through the windpipe."

He mimicked a sharp rock with his finger as he stabbed his throat gently.

"Dead before he could even register the pain.", he said softly.

Cass felt her heart drop even further.

"I-I still gotta try..."

"Cassandra, he's insane."

Lance's words felt like a knife to her heart.

Maybe... maybe it really was to late.