More Then a Sacrifice

Cass was in pure shock, her heart stopping for a moment as she watched Varian fall to his knees.

"D-Dad...", Varian whispered tears streaming down his ashen face, "...w-what have I-I done?"

He kneeled there and stared at the bright scarlet splatters on the ground.

Cass swallowed and walked towards him, she still needed to try.

Varian seemed to have finally gone back to his senses; but only because of Quirin's death, she knew she couldn't waste this opportunity.

Trying to find deep courage within herself, she approached him cautiously.

"Varian...", she said softly, "This... this is what happens when you use the moonstone. It corrupts you; makes you believe you need nothing, that you need no one. It can and will destroy everything you live before you even know it has."

She neared closer to him trying to keep her voice steady.

"The power feels good, but can it bring back what you just lost?? And if you think, you'll realize it's the reason these people are gone; the reason your father is gone is because of the corruption.", she tried to reason out, "Just... it's okay I'm here for you; but y-you need to let go of it."

Varian stood up, rising to his feet slowly before turning around.

Horror was written on his face as his eyes seemed to barely even be alive themself.

"M-My Dad...", he whispered.

"I want to help! If you just let me Varian, you just need to let go!"

Varian's eyes then hardened.

His eyes were shining with uneven light as he felt his heart war against his mind.

"My father was plotting on killing Set and possibly even me! My father", Varian spat, "killed my own mother."

"No Varian! It isn't like that at all!!! Didn't you hear the whole story?!"

He grimaced, "I heard enough to know that Quirin is a piece of shit- he never cared about me anyway."

Cass gasped, "Varian!!! You know that isn't true!!! CAN'T YOU SEE IT?!? The moonstone is hardening you and you believe it's healing you!"

Varian's eyes flickered for a second as he suddenly had guilt written all over his face.

Then he shook his head, "He got what he d-deserv-!"

Varian stopped and broke down.

He was losing control again.

ALL OVER AGAIN.

"No no no no no no no no...", he mumbled sobbing as his head started to pound.

"Varian!", Cass shouted running over to him.

"Get away from me!!!!", he screamed his eyes crackling bright blue.

Rocks shot out of the ground and punched Cassandra away from him, making her fall away.

She slammed and rolled on the hard dirt before stopping, bruises and cuts covering her body.

Cass coughed and painfully got up, injured but not anything fatal as she felt her side start to bleed from a surface cut.

Varian's eyes returned back to their normal hue of blue.

He swallowed, "C-Cassie... I... I d-didn't mean..."

Cass watched in horror as Varian suddenly screamed, holding his head between his hands.

What ever was happening to Varian was torturing him.