Monster...

After reading that book, Varian couldn't eat or sleep.

He kept having panic attacks anytime the thought crossed his mind that'd he become a monster. That he was going to hurt someone in the near future.

He isolated himself in his bedroom for the next several days.

Quirin had tried to talk to him at first, but it soon became clear that his son wouldn't respond, he let Varian alone.

Varian stared into the mirrored glass on a vase, the reflection warping his face into weird features.

He looked... just like a monster.

He looked away and clenched his fists tightly, trying to think about something, anything that could get his mind off the nightmare.

"Varian?", Cass's voice was heard through the wooden door.

Standing up Varian opened it.

He wanted to see her again and he needed the welcome distraction.

"Can I come in?"

Varian shook his head.

Cass gazes at him in concern, "That's fine, can you at least come out here to talk?"

"Sure... I guess."

Varian stepped out of the room and waited.

"Listen... I'm sorry.", Cass started breaking the silence, "It's not your fault if you're curious about the moonstone. It's just... don't you understand..? It ruined my life..."

"I know..."

"I shouldn't have gotten so upset. I'm sorry."

Varian took a deep breath, "I wasn't thinking about your feelings for this... so I'm sorry too."

Cass shifted, "So, are we good?"

He nodded silently.

"Have you been hiding away because of me Varian?", she asked guiltily.

"No! It isn't like that Cassie!"

"Then why have you been cooped up in there?"

He backed up a little, "I-I've just been thinking about things..."

Cassandra walked over to him and took his hand gently, "Hey, everything's going to be fine, alright? Zhan Tiri is gone now. We have nothing to worry about anymore."

"That's not what I'm worried about."

"...then if it's not... what?"

"Cassie, do you think I'm a monster?", he suddenly gushed out, his face filled with fear, "I've done terrible things to you in the past! I nearly crushed you!!! I don't even know what I'm truly capable of..."

Cass grabbed him into a big hug, "No!! Why would you think that you're a monster Varian? You're anything but!"

Varian's heart sped.

"H-how can you be so sure?"

"That was all in the past Varian.", she answered, "And you've got compassion and love in your heart.", Cass said putting her hand over his chest.

He nodded, "Thanks... Cassie."

Cassandra smiled and then frowned a little seeing his complexion.

"When's the last time you've slept?"

Varian started, "Uhhm, for a few days now..."

"Varian, Have you been stressing out about this?"

"Ye- no! I don't know!"

"Why? You're such an incredible person! You should be proud of who you are!"

Dum. Dum.

It was starting to happen again.

Varian swallowed, "I'm not perfect, not at all."

He tried to calm down as he started to panic about the attack again.

"You don't have to be perfect to be a good person! Why don't you see that?"

Dum. Dum.

Cass grabbed him before he could escape into his room, "How long have you felt like this Varian?"

Varian tugged on his arm, trying to get out of her grip.

"Answer me, please!"

DUM. DUM.

His eyes almost looked empty as he turned to look at her.

"...Let... me... go..."

Cass's eyes widened as she let him go from surprise, seeing the devastation on his face.

DUM. DUM.

Varian turned and slammed the door, safe inside his room as he heard Cassandra's breathing from the other side.

"Varian...", she started.

"NO! JUST GO!", he yelled grasping his arms tightly, "...please...", he whispered weakly.

Cass stared at the door in sadness and shock, something was happening to Varian.

And she didn't know how to help.

The boy she had known was lost... his eyes a deep pool of darkness. The light was starting to fade...

She sighed and walked away, knowing it was best if she went.

Varian heard her footsteps as she finally left, his heartbeat starting to escalate as he heard the front door slam shut.

He felt like he could have an attack without worrying or alerting anyone else, that would help him slightly.

He didn't want to accidentally hurt anyone...

Varian brought his knees to his chest and went into a tight ball as he tried to stay calm.

Black rocks sprouted around him as he tried to will himself calm but instead he was only making himself more fearful and stressed.

The image of his dad encased in amber flashed through his mind.

Sweat dropped onto the ground as he grabbed his head and bit back a scream.

DUM. DUM.

DUM. DUM.

DUM. DUM.

More images and scenes went through his mind faster and faster.

Angry accusing townsfolk surrounded him in his mind's eye.

"AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!", Varian screamed, "IT'S NOT TRUE, IT'S NOT!I'M NOT... I-I DIDN'T MEAN TO... PLEASE...!! STOP!!!"

The voices filed his head, the ones calling him a monster, the ones calling him dangerous, everyone who ever doubted him...

The ones who said he encased Quirin on purpose...

Angry and scared tears streamed down his face, "It's not true... it's not.", he whispered brokenly, "I-I never meant to...!"

He saw himself crushing Cassandra ruthlessly with his automaton as she gasped for air.

"I'm sorry!! I'm so sorry!!!", he sobbed, "I am a monster..."