Chapter 17.1: Demon Town

When the snow began disappearing and warm air surrounded him, Ari knew they were growing closer to the place he used to call home. The air carried the smell of fire on it, but it was no new thing. They were nearing a town and chimneys were burning. Along with that came the burning smell of demons. The Khaeo was somewhere near the town if not in it already. 

Ari wanted to travel to town in hope of the possibility of seeing Freir or Rein. The chances were slim that they would be there, of all places, but Ari wanted to see regardless. In addition to that, Kaval's complexion was paling. Kaval would not take his blood no matter how much he pressed him to, so Kaval would have to take it from humans. Ari did not want to ask if taking their blood would lead to their deaths. He did not care if it kept Kaval well and alive. He would not judge Kaval for it. 

Ari stole a glance at Kaval before looking ahead at the town growing nearer. When Kaval was quiet like that Ari noticed it was either because he was upset or in deep thought about something. Even with that pensive face, Ari could not help but think how attractive he was. Ari pushed that thought aside. There was no time for time for it. Acting on it once before was what had gotten them into the situation that they were in now. 

Still, even though he thought that, thoughts like those still lingered. They only grew with each innocent gesture of care Kaval showed him. Whether it was a smile or small brush of his hand against his cheek or hair, Ari could not help but pine for more. That desire made a burning sensation grow in the pit of stomach he did not know what to do with, so he ignored it as best he could. 

There were many emotions and memories clawing its way to the surface as he slept or laid awake. He did not want to worry Kaval, so he did not tell him a thing. However, he did not want Kaval to think he was hiding something from him. He was just trying to make sense of them was all. He would deal with them in time. His feelings for Kaval were growing stronger and more abstract with time. Ari's heart swelled at a memory of him resurfacing before Ari pushed it away with a shake of his head. 

There was Auovin and Freir to worry about. There was no time. "No time," Ari murmured to himself catching Kaval's attention.

Kaval smiled and combed through Ari's hair. Although they have been traveling for many days, Kaval always made sure he was well groomed and dressed. He did not pay much attention to himself. He had slight curls, like Sai, but less defined. Surely his hair would be a mess to get through, but Ari would help wash and detangle it if given the chance. 

"You are quiet."

Ari's eyes shot up at the sound of his voice. They lowered and sunk into the wet grass not long after. "Am I...?"

"What have you remembered?" 

Ari did not answer him.

"Ari."

"Nothing that I have not known already," Ari mumbled. He scratched his chin and gazed at the massive wall coming into view. 

"It is fine if you do not answer me now. When we are settled here for the night, I will ask again." Kaval continued to stroke his hair before he lowered and kissed him right below his eye. "We have nothing but time."

"Kaval—"

"That demon may have his reasons for keeping you away. For once, he is not being selfish or manipulative, Ari."

"And that is what is worrying me."

Kaval scoffed away a laugh. "Shall we go find him too?"

Ari gazed into his gray eyes. They were dark enough to see some of his reflection until he blinked. He had long lashes like Auovin except Kaval's curved more than his making his eyes look bigger and rounder. Ari put a thumb to his lips and kept walking. "It is best if we find Freir and Rein first."