Chapter 8: Rumination

One after another, Ari walked through town after town, trying to create as much distance from the order. A night or so passed by before Ari reached a town. As he looked down on it, he noticed it was smaller than most but big enough for him to get lost. The buildings were taller than the ones he had seen in the past towns and the roofs on top of the houses looked to be made out of clay tiles instead of hay. He could hear the sound of men, women, and children crowding the streets. Even horse drawn carts going over the dirt floor made it to his ears.

Ari took his first step towards the town with emotions mixed between dread, excitement, and nervousness. He was happy to be finally out on his own, but he was also fearful as well. When he was escaping, he had not thought of the coins he needed or what he would do once his throat began to itch. Somehow, he thought that he would figure it all out at that town.

He went down the dirt path made by many other people who had passed through. As he grew closer, the forest began to become sparse. Light shone in between the cracks of the tree tops as the gaps increased. It was so bright, Ari had shut one of his eyes and put his hand over his head, giving his eyes a chance to adjust. When they did, he was already out of the forest and nearing the gates.

The walls surrounding it were large stones and slabs of mortar set in between them. It was sloppily done, but Ari knew the walls would hold. The metal gate was raised high and the guards let him inside without so much as a word. They only gave him a fleeting glance before laughing and going back to their conversation.

Ari took a closer look at them. Their armor was scanty compared to the Khaeo's. They had a layer or so of leather with cloth tying the two sides together. Demons would tear right through them in one fatal swoop. What use were those helmets when they could slice through their necks as easy as slicing bread. Ari shook his head and looked ahead, focusing on the myriad of people coming his way.

He wriggled through the masses, none of them paying him any mind. Unlike the others, he wore black clothing, symbolizing his affiliation with the order. Everyone else wore muted colors such as brown and gray. Only royalty or nobles wore such things as purple or blue. Ari did not mind it much. He liked the color black much more than any color. It suited him the best.

As the crowd cleared, he took note of some of the women and children who would bow their heads in thanks for his service. To them, they were like their saviors. The Sanclii risked their very lives for the people behind the border. It was the very least that they could do. Over the years, the death toll of the Sanclii had increased, causing more people to shy away from joining so they took in criminals from the kingdoms and men who had lost their families due to war, famine, or demons. He gave them a nod in return and continued on ahead, not really knowing where to go next.

He passed by the market ignoring the seller pushing a pomegranate in his face. There was the smell of fish permeating the air, as well as scents of perfume. It was disorienting. As the scents became more potent Ari found himself going into the closest building to him.

It was dark. Only a few candles lit the room, causing Ari to look around and assess the place he found himself in. There were a few people in the place all with cups to their lips. He walked closer towards the man who gave him a fleeting glance before scoffing. Ari did not know how he knew, but he knew he was like him. He was a blood demon.

Ari sat a stool away from him, but the man continued to ignore his presence as if he were gnat or bee buzzing around his ear. The look of disinterest reminded him of Cyrus, but Ari could clearly tell he had no intention of speaking to him in the slightest. Why were blood demons that way to their own kind? It did not make any sense to him. He thought since there was so few of them, they would value togetherness, but that did not seem to be the case.