Chapter 14: The Greats

Kaval hobbled down the cold dirt path with blood oozing from the wound he took to his chest. No matter how many times Ari tried to stop him and bandage it, Kaval shrugged him away and said he would be fine. Ari did not think so. The rod went in so deep Ari thought it went right through him. Kaval should not be walking in the condition he was in, especially at the pace he was going at. What was so important to risk his own well-being for? Ari did not care for it. He did not care to know if Kaval was going to behave this way-- with no care for self. 

"Kaval, stop. It does not matter if we get there a little later than expected. You must--" 

"We mustn't."

"Why?"

Kaval pursed his lips.

"I thought you were dead. I was so angry and hurt... I may have even cut what little piece of thread that tethered Auovin and me together because I was so angry. I know I hurt him deeply. But you see what you mean to me. Do not belittle it."

"I want to stop. I do, but, Ari, he will not stay down for long. And I am weak. So are you." 

"I am not."

"You are, and the answer to why is in here." Kaval tapped Ari's head. "And there." He pointed toward the mountain looming closer now like a dark specter. 

Ari chewed on his lip before he helped Kaval from the rock he was leaning against.

"Inge... Is he not dead?" 

"Like us, they are very hard to kill. And even when killed they are not really." Ari furrowed his brows. "They just sleep."

"And the Greats? What do they do?"

"Ari, you ask so many questions, which I adore, but do not ask questions you are not willing to carry the burden of what the answer might be. Not yet. Not as you are right now." Kaval took Ari's hand in his. He turned it over until Ari's palms were facing up. 

"But when I show you what needs to be shown, I will answer all of your questions then. I promise." 

Ari should have been comforted then but it only made his stomach swirl. The way he was looking at him unnerved him. "Why do you look at me with such eyes?" 

"Because you are a Great as I am." 

"No, it is a much different kind of gaze. It is as if seeing me after a long while. I did not realize it in the beginning, when we first met, but Kaval... it is as if you had known me long before that time." 

Kaval licked his lips and smiled. 

"Perhaps, you were not lying at all back then... and that thought scares me. But I-- I want to become stronger and if going there helps me then I will. I cannot be afraid anymore."

"It is not such a bad thing to admit to being afraid, Ari. You were so sure of your strength because you were around humans and lessers all of your life. Now that you are around your own kind, you weigh your strength against their's and find yourself at a terrible loss. That blood demon could have killed you. You were right to fear him." 

Ari nodded and continued on ahead despite his reluctance. He tried to cover his nose and create a little distance from Kaval as the scent of his blood became more and more apparent. Although he fed on Cyrus recently, the smell of Kaval's blood made his mouth water. It did not sit well with Ari at all. 

"It is tantalizing, is it not...? My blood?"

Kaval caught up and pressed his lips to Ari's ear, causing Ari to squeeze his eyes shut. 

"You may fool around with the lesser of us, but ours is the blood you crave the most because it is what you are. What you need." Ari turned and looked at him then. "What you need to become stronger."