Chapter 12.3: Hypocrite

Ari woke up to a pair of gray eyes staring at him from afar. Kaval came close and bent down toward his face which made Ari turn on his side away from him. Still, Kaval tried to get Ari to look at him by going to his other side, but Ari only turned on his other side and closed his eyes. Ari drew his lips into a frown and sighed. Why was Kaval being such a pest as soon as he woke up?

"I am not mad at you... Kaval. Sometimes, I would like some space to myself, is all," Ari mumbled with sleep still heavy in his voice. Soft lips pressed onto his cheek which made Ari's cheeks redden.

"Then shall I lay here with you?"

Ari rose quickly and looked at Kaval, blushing. "That is the exact opposite of what I want from you, Kaval."

"Or is it that... you rather it be with someone else instead? Someone with darker, longer hair than I and eyes that rival the beauty of the moon," Kaval teased causing Ari to push Kaval's face moving closer to his.

"If you know then why do you continue to bring it up?"

"Because it is cute. I wonder how long you will be at this until you grow tired of it."

Ari bowed his head and nodded. "I suppose you were right. I suppose everyone was right. The way I have been looking at things-- no, going about it was childish and in vain.

"Mmm... " Kaval tapped his finger mindlessly on his chin.

"He has his reasons to dislike me or put me at a distance. It finally gives me the clarity that I needed for why he acted the way he did towards me for so long and why Cyrus kept trying to keep me away from him. I am a little upset." Ari bit his lip. "I am more than a little upset... but I..."

"Still love him?"

"I still want to speak with him... and hear more."

"What is left for him to tell? He was using you and then somewhere down the line lost sight of it and became smitten with you. The end. What more would you like to know?"

Ari ignored him and walked out the door. It was night out and the stars shined brightly up above. Just how long did he sleep? There was a chill in the air he hadn't felt before. He knew he needed blood if he was affected by the temperatures outside. Ari licked his lips causing the cold to creep up on them. His breath made soft clouds that quickly disappeared as he continued forming new ones.

Just as he thought, Auovin did not move from his spot near the tree where Ari had first seen him. Ari grew closer and realized he was staring at the stars. It made Ari look up, causing him to stumble over a tree root. He fell into the massive garden of pink flowers. Petals flew up and covered some of his face. There was no way Auovin did not hear that which made Ari squeeze his eyes shut. Why could he not do a thing properly whenever it came to Auovin? He was never so clumsy and so absent-minded when it came to other things.

Ari opened his eyes and saw a pair of yellow ones staring right back into his. He was far too embarrassed to care about Auovin's closeness. Slowly, Ari covered his eyes with his forearm, but Auovin took it away and gave him a small smile which sent a warm feeling to his chest.

"I suppose Cyrus would say this is uncute of you... but I find it quite appealing."

Auovin continued to gaze into his eyes. Ari's heart pounded in his chest waiting for that timely kiss or whisper near his ear. However, nothing came. Auovin just looked at Ari which unnerved him. Was he seeing his father or was he seeing him? Ari swallowed dryly at the bitter thought.

"I am not him," Ari uttered.

"I know this."

"Even if you wish it or pretend like I am him, I am not."